Real Housewives of Orange County
100th Episode – 2 Hour Episode Airs Tonight!
In preparation for tonight’s 2-hour 100th episode of the RHOC, I watched Season 1 a couple of weeks ago when Bravo was airing all of the old episodes. I don’t think I’ve even seen these episodes since they originally aired eight years ago and there were some things that made me say, “hmmmm.” I was primarily interested in three things; 1) Looking at pictures of the housewives from the early seasons to see how they or their styles have changed over the years; 2) Seeing how each housewife’s tagline has changed as the seasons moved forward and as the “housewives” brand was being defined; and, 3) Identifying other miscellaneous ways the franchise has either changed or stayed the same from the premier episode to the current season.
Below, you will first see the group photos by season, then taglines arranged by housewife in order of appearance on the series, and finally some miscellaneous tidbits of information and thoughts I had from watching the Premier episode and Season 1. I hope you enjoy walking down memory lane… Fortunately, Bravo captured the pictures and the taglines for us so it was easy to glean and for more information, go to: http://www.bravotv.com/the-real-housewives-of-orange-county.
(Click on the pics to get full sized views – MTH)
Taglines throughout the Years by Housewife in order of appearance:
- Season 1: “I don’t wanna get old.”
- Season 2: “Here’s to not being fake.”
- Season 3: “Everything’s got to be huge, large, and grand.”
- Season 4: “I want the power and the money, and I want them both.”
- Season 5: “I love my family, I love my work, I love my life.”
- Season 6: “I make my own money and I make my own rules.”
- Season 7: “My tank is full and I’m driving into my future.”
- Season 8: “I’m my own boss and it’s time for a raise.”
- Season 1: “It’s just money, you can’t take it with you.”
- Season 2: “I have always wanted things. I crave money.”
- Season 3: “I love money and now I’m loving life.”
- Season 4: “It doesn’t matter what happens in life, I do it my way”
- Season 5: “Money is a girl’s best friend and I love friends.”
Lauri Waring Peterson
- Season 1: “Are the police involved?”
- Season 2: “I was poor, I was rich, I was poor again and you know what? Having money is easier.”
- Season 3: “You know what, I’m living the O.C. lifestyle again. I feel like royalty”
Jo De La Rosa
- Season 1: “He’s pretty much keeping me.”
- Season 2: “I deserve only the best… I’m worth it!”
- Season 1: “Eighty-five percent of the women around here have had breast implants.”
- Season 2: “I don’t let my kids or my exes drive me crazy.”
- Season 3: “No matter how much money you have, you can always rely on others.”
- Season 3: “I’m the hottest housewife in Orange County.”
- Season 4: “I’m not the new girl anymore, so watch out.”
- Season 5: “Housewives come younger, but they don’t come hotter.”
- Season 6: “I’m done being a trophy wife, freedom only makes me hotter.”
- Season 7: “I call the shots in my life now, and I have good aim.”
- Season 8: “The best thing about starting over is never looking back.”
- Season 3: “I love having a younger man in my life.”
- Season 4: “I love the bling, I love the jewelry, I love it all.”
- Season 5: “I’m smart, I’m sexy, and I’m confident. Of course people are gonna talk about me.”
- Season 6: “Happiness means never having to apologize for being me.”
- Season 7: “Don’t call me a princess, call me the boss.”
- Season 8: “When the going gets tough, I just get stronger and stronger.”
- Season 4: “I’m just your typical Orange County housewife. I am obsessed with being young.”
- Season 5: “It’s not about how much money you have, it’s about how good you look spending it.”
- Season 5: “Am I high maintenance? Of course I am, look at me.”
- Season 6: “God is my savior, my husband is my king, and my body? It’s sinful.”
- Season 7: “I thank God every day for my life, and you would, too.”
- Season 8: “I don’t need to prove anything. I know who I am and God does too.”
- Season 6: “Soccer moms drive mini vans, but this girl drives a Bentley.”
- Season 7: “I may be married to a plastic surgeon, but I’m 98 percent real.”
- Season 8: “Whoever said blondes have more fun, hasn’t met me”
- Season 8: “You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough.”
Miscellaneous Tidbits of Information:
Lauri has always screwed anything and anyone she can – Including Vicki and Slade. Vicki gave her a job when Lauri was destitute and in the middle of a very horrible divorce (starting two years before the show even started filming). Vicki showed Lauri the ropes in the insurance industry and even gave Lauri’s spoiled brat of a daughter (Ashley) a job when she needed one, too. In the current season, Lauri seems to be relishing that she’s dragging Vicki’s name through the mud apparently all over an email that her then fiancé’s ex-mother-in-law sent to Vicki. Vicki evidently shared said email with Jeana (maybe others, it’s not clear) – Perhaps wanting Jeana’s perspective on what she should do with it. However, Vicki didn’t ever actually share the email with Lauri. Never fear sports fans – Jeana gets a gold star for “sharing well with others” because she shared the email with Lauri. This all happened like 5 years ago… Lauri’s serving up some nice ice cold revenge, no?
Once a Slimeball – Always a Slimeball. Slade (36) started out as a creep who was engaged to Jo (24) and insisted that she quit her job and stay at home. By her own admission, Jo felt like she was basically a “kept woman.” Slade said he thinks their relationship works out because, “I’m eager to teach and she’s eager to learn.” Such a slimeball. He was playing part-time dad to his two kids (Gavin who was 14 and Grayson who was 5) by two different moms. He got miffed during the times when he had custody of the kids and Jo decided to go out and party with her friends rather than to stay at home and play “mom” to kids who were not hers. They broke-up as a result of Jo’s partying tendencies.
A minute after Slade and Jo broke up – Slade started to date Lauri, another RHOC. Lauri disclosed on camera that she and Slade kept running into Jo everywhere they went. Remember it was during last week’s episode, when Slade was talking to Terry and that he lied when he said that he and Lauri had never gone out on an “actual” date. You went dancing with her… you admittedly had sex with her… if that’s not “dating”… what is? I’m guessing Gretchen is not happy with this tidbit of news. Liar, liar idiot’s on fire! Slade and Lauri even went to a dance club in Los Angeles (one hour away) and sure enough, Jo appears. Jo walked right up to Slade and said, “Nice date.”
However, during the reunion, Jo and Lauri managed to sit right across from each other without even a table as a safety barrier between them. Yet neither of them started to scream at each other. Go figure. My, how times have changed… People have yelled at each other for far weaker reasons… By the way, Slade made his money as a Vice President of a now defunct Title Insurance Company. It was a trip seeing Slade during the times when he had way more money to burn. They actually closed down an entire furniture store for the evening just so he and Jo could shop uninterruptedly. He also bought Jo a canary diamond engagement ring that retailed for around $150,000. During the first season, he splashed his wealth around like he was Shamu in a goldfish bowl. My, how the mighty have fallen.
By the way, after that night at the LA nightclub, Slade pursued Jo and they got back together. But it wasn’t for long – They ultimately split and Jo moved to Los Angeles to pursue an entertainment career. Jo and Slade appeared on an 8 episode dating show called “Date My Ex: Jo & Slade.” Each week, 3 suitors were invited to live at Slade’s house for the week and they went out on dates with Jo. Each week two left (I think)… and each week they were replaced by two new guys. Slade was able to watch all the dates somehow and provided Jo some input. Slade eventually threw his own hat back into the “I want to start dating Jo again” ring. Alas… ultimately, Jo did not choose Slade. But this show did elongate his 15 minutes of fame, so he was happy.
Vicki has a history of “popping” in unexpectedly on her kids. Briana was afraid Vicki was going to pop in on her while she was in college – and sure enough, she did. In a later season, who could forget the scene when Vicki walked in on Michael and his friends while they were watching an important football game while screaming “Woo hooo!” Michael was mortified. It’s why to this very day that Vicki does not know the actual street address of where her own son lives.
There was no “Andy” for the “Reunion Show.” There were a series of talking head interviews about what each housewife experienced during their first year on the show along with clips from the show. At the very end they were all in one place… looking at a TV screen while watching portions of the show and commenting on them. It was all quite civil and cordial. It even flowed pretty well. Things between Lauri even remained okay – and they had dated the same man during the same year. Jo was cranky about it – but they remained civil.
Slade has a serious case of housewife envy. Even during the very first episode, Slade had more airtime than some of the other housewives. We were even treated (gag) to naked photos of him during his “modeling” days. Very naked (Insert involuntary shudder here). Makes me kind of wonder about those long bike rides he has been having with Eddie (“Honey, let me quickly gulp down this goblet of wine before I can stomach getting into this romantic bathtub with you”). Not that there’s anything wrong with it… allegedly…
The women were not always “gone with the wind, fabulous.” They were much more “normal” looking most of the time. Even in the opening pictorial sequences, the women are wearing normal almost street-looking clothes instead of the highly stylized sparkly, satin, Miss America gowns they now wear. They are however, holding an “orange.” Lolol.
There was a housewife on Season 1 who I absolutely had no recollection of ever seeing on the show. Kimberly was only on for one season and moved away. Her storyline was pretty compelling since she was overcoming a lot of pretty serious skin cancer scares. I faintly remember her visiting during another season for another occasion – but I really had no idea who she was. Suffice it to say she had big fake boobies and she worked out a lot.
Staged Meetings Were Born! The very first Bravo “staged” meeting of housewives occurred during the premiere episode when Jo (who was lonely and miserable as a stay-at-home kept woman) walked up to a group of women (Kim was the only one who was a “RHOC”) who were sitting at a table having drinks at what looked like the patio area of a restaurant or sports club. Jo asked them if they live in “Coto” (Coto de Caza) and divulged to them she’s lived there for a year and a half and doesn’t know anyone. They invite her to sit down and have a drink with them. Thus a bouncing, baby Bravo connection was born! The other three housewives already had established connections: Vicki and Jeana lived across the street from each other and Lauri was working for Vicki.
Kids were portrayed largely as self-absorbed, entitled, and bratty – However, the ones who got the most airtime were mostly older kids (over 15). Kara (Jeana’s 16 year old daughter) says in the premiere episode that if her mother buys her a Mercedes then she’ll prove that she loves her. Kara said, “It’s how we show we love each other in our family – We buy each other things.” Lovely.
Miss Piggy – Vicki divulged during the first season reunion show that some “bloggers” had referred to her as “Miss Piggy.” Evidently, that’s where our charming Slade first got that idea that he perpetuated during his “comedy” routine last season and was just mentioned again in last week’s episode. I should have known better since Slade wouldn’t recognize an original thought if it bit him on his dupa and said, “Hi, I’m an original thought.”
So, now we’re ready for the show! Pop some popcorn… Get some Tums… Pour your beverage of choice… Put your feet up… And snark with me as we watch the festivities! Please note – I highly doubt I will be able to get the 2 hour recap done by 6:00 AM on Tuesday morning… So please watch for the recap to be posted on Wednesday (hopefully!). Thanks! Let the snarkfest begin!
Thank you, Stars99
Empress has 3 new recaps up at realhousewifeofaiken.com
2 for Madmen and 1 for last nights Long Island Princesses