Why I Prefer Reality TV to Mad Men by NMD
Mad Men ended its sixth season wrapping up several story lines. What’s next for Don Draper now that he’s reached the very bottom? Will Peggy take his place? Will he be replaced by yet another white male that she has to deal with? How about Ted – will the agency let him stay in California with Don gone, or will he grow a pair and come back to New York? Did Pete really go to California?
The problem is I’ll have to wait until 2014 to find out any of these answers. The best I can hope for is that the writers let something slip before the show airs again. I’m not going to learn anything from the cast. You see Jon Hamm isn’t Don Draper. I can scour the gossip sites for news about Jon Hamm, but I really want to know what’s going on with Don Draper and he doesn’t exist.
So I’ve backed into liking reality shows more than scripted TV. As uninteresting as most of the characters are – at least they are real.
I know, I know – I strayed for a while. But I’ve been like a crocodile – one eye open and paying attention. But with summer starting and the scripted shows over – my TV time (admittedly limited) is back to reality TV.
Let’s catch up.
- Big Brother 15 is off and running (still looking for blogger – email me (nomoredrama8@gmail if you are interested) and it looks like a promising season. There are at least two superfans in the house – Andy and someone else. Already the women all hate each other, Rachel’s sister has been busted, and alliances are forming and breaking at the speed of sound. There are enough completely over the top and annoying people locked in that house to keep us interested all summer – or so we hope.
- NeNe got married in a quiet, low key ceremony. NOT. Her 1 plus million dollar affair was probably gorgeous and will make for a great spin off. I’m just glad she and Gregg are still together. She needs him. He completes her.
- Tamra Barney is now Tamra Judge. This was her first wedding where she wasn’t pregnant. Congratulations Tamra – you forced a man to marry you even when you were past your child bearing years. Way to go. I look forward to many years of making fun of the two of you.
- Vicki Gunvalson and Brooke Ayers may be broken up for real. Maybe. Or maybe not. The best part of the 100th episode of OC was remembering how nasty Vicki really was in past seasons. I think the first episode I watched was Gretchen and Lynn’s first season when Vicki wouldn’t even talk to them or allow Tamra to sit with them when they went to the racetrack. Jeana was the only past season housewife that was decent. Vicki calls it hazing. She came off as an entitled witch. I’d like to think she’s softened over the years because she seems bearable this season. One thing about Vicki – love her or hate her – she doesn’t seem as fake as the others. I get the feeling that we’re seeing parts of her real life.
- New York. They are my sentimental favorites. I adore Heather and Carole – they always respond to me on twitter but more than that they seem like people I would actually like in real life. I’ve grown tired of Ramona but I’ll always support her because she supported Lynn. I’m somewhat interested in LuAnn, and liked her so much better without Jillzy in her ear. Sonja is just a sad mess. These ladies are in the news every day because they are filming, and at some point I may start to pay attention and see what they are up to – but I’ve learned it’s just filler to keep us interested, so it’s hard to give it much time.
- New Jersey. This show has jumped the shark. It’s too bad, but they had no where else to go unless they changed the cast. Their stories are now layers of BS over BS that they’d need a binder full of notes to keep their lies straight. Their problem is that they’re trying to do a scripted reality show but can’t agree on the script. Each one wants to play the hero. Add in Bravo’s famous editing and messing up timelines and you’ve got an incohesive, unbelievable mess of a show. The bit players are grabbing the screen time. Rosie, Kim D – and later Johnny the Greek are all willing to bring the drama. Jennifer D was supposed to be a housewife – but I’m guessing she was too nice and normal. She was at many of the events we’re seeing, but has been edited out.
- Miami. This show holds some promise. Set aside the two wedding storylines. What is happening between Adriana and Lea Black? I’m interested because these two ladies were real friends with a real history, and rumor is that Lea stabbed Adriana in the back and tried to get her tossed from the show. We’ll need a blogger for this show when it returns – anyone interested??
- Meanwhile Lisa Vanderpump tweeted something about Vanderpump Rules returning after she has sorted out some sort of mess. I don’t know what she was talking about, but I hope BH is still filming.
I’d like to thank everyone for keeping this place full of gossip while I took a break from these ladies. I think I’m back now – but it’s hard to say. The sun is shining and I’m easily distracted.
Happy Birthday Formerly Addicted to Bravo