Why I Prefer Reality TV to Mad Men

Why I Prefer Reality TV to Mad Men by NMD

Mad Men ended its sixth season wrapping up several story lines.  What’s next for Don Draper now that he’s reached the very bottom?  Will Peggy take his place?  Will he be replaced by yet another white male that she has to deal with?  How about Ted – will the agency let him stay in California with Don gone, or will he grow a pair and come back to New York?  Did Pete really go to California?

The problem is I’ll have to wait until 2014 to find out any of these answers.  The best I can hope for is that the writers let something slip before the show airs again.  I’m not going to learn anything from the cast.  You see Jon Hamm isn’t Don Draper.  I can scour the gossip sites for news about Jon Hamm, but I really want to know what’s going on with Don Draper and he doesn’t exist.

So I’ve backed into liking reality shows more than scripted TV.  As uninteresting as most of the characters are – at least they are real.

I know, I know – I strayed for a while.  But I’ve been like a crocodile – one eye open and paying attention.  But with summer starting and the scripted shows over – my TV time (admittedly limited) is back to reality TV.

Let’s catch up.

• Big Brother 15 is off and running (still looking for  blogger – email me (nomoredrama8@gmail if you are interested) and it looks like a promising season.  There are at least two superfans in the house – Andy and someone else.  Already the women all hate each other, Rachel’s sister has been busted, and alliances are forming and breaking at the speed of sound.  There are enough completely over the top and annoying people locked in that house to keep us interested all summer – or so we hope.
  • NeNe got married in a quiet, low key ceremony.  NOT.  Her 1 plus million dollar affair was probably gorgeous and will make for a great spin off.  I’m just glad she and Gregg are still together.  She needs him.  He completes her.
  • Tamra Barney is now Tamra Judge.  This was her first wedding where she wasn’t pregnant.  Congratulations Tamra – you forced a man to marry you even when you were past your child bearing years.  Way to go.  I look forward to many years of making fun of the two of you.
  • Vicki Gunvalson and Brooke Ayers may be broken up for real.  Maybe.  Or maybe not.  The best part of the 100th episode of OC was remembering how nasty Vicki really was in past seasons.  I think the first episode I watched was Gretchen and Lynn’s first season when Vicki wouldn’t even talk to them or allow Tamra to sit with them when they went to the racetrack.  Jeana was the only past season housewife that was decent. Vicki calls it hazing.  She came off as an entitled witch.  I’d like to think she’s softened over the years because she seems bearable this season. One thing about Vicki – love her or hate her – she doesn’t seem as fake as the others.  I get the feeling that we’re seeing parts of her real life.
  • New York.  They are my sentimental favorites. I adore Heather and Carole – they always respond to me on twitter but more than that they seem like people I would actually like in real life.  I’ve grown tired of Ramona but I’ll always support her because she supported Lynn.  I’m somewhat interested in LuAnn, and liked her so much better without Jillzy in her ear.  Sonja is just a sad mess.  These ladies are in the news every day because they are filming, and at some point I may start to pay attention and see what they are up to – but I’ve learned it’s just filler to keep us interested, so it’s hard to give it much time.
  • New Jersey.  This show has jumped the shark.  It’s too bad, but they had no where else to go unless they changed the cast.  Their stories are now layers of BS over BS that they’d need a binder full of notes to keep their lies straight.  Their problem is that they’re trying to do a scripted reality show but can’t agree on the script.  Each one wants to play the hero.  Add in Bravo’s famous editing and messing up timelines and you’ve got an incohesive, unbelievable mess of a show.  The bit players are grabbing the screen time.  Rosie, Kim D – and later Johnny the Greek are all willing to bring the drama.  Jennifer D was supposed to be a housewife – but I’m guessing she was too nice and normal.  She was at many of the events we’re seeing, but has been edited out.
  • Miami.  This show holds some promise.  Set aside the two wedding storylines.  What is happening between Adriana and Lea Black?  I’m interested because these two ladies were real friends with a real history, and rumor is that Lea stabbed Adriana in the back and tried to get her tossed from the show.  We’ll need a blogger for this show when it returns – anyone interested??
  • Meanwhile Lisa Vanderpump tweeted something about Vanderpump Rules returning after she has sorted out some sort of mess.  I don’t know what she was talking about, but I hope BH is still filming.

I’d like to thank everyone for keeping this place full of gossip while I took a break from these ladies.  I think I’m back now – but it’s hard to say.  The sun is shining and I’m easily distracted.

_________________________________________

Happy Birthday Formerly Addicted to Bravo

_________________________________________

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

185 Responses to Why I Prefer Reality TV to Mad Men

🎉🎉🎉HAPPY BIRTHDAY NMD- A TRUE BAD ASS!!!!🎉🎉🎉

Whoops-I my have jumped the gun!!! Did I ???

Hi Jill, I’m answering you over on this side – job is going great. Just finished week 4. Lots of stuff is falling into place, and I am figuring out how to navigate the systems. And! I move to North Hollywood next week, so my 1hr+ commute each way is reduced to 15 min. I can’t wait!
        Hope you are enjoying your summer – bar-b-ques and pool parties sound like you are! What’s for dinner? 🙂

Oh that’s great about the commute!!! Glad things are going well!!
          Summer has been great so far-off to a pool party today-my brothers birthday!! Burgers-dogs-pulled pork and a bunch of salads….oh and plenty of cool beers!!!!

Ladebra you are going to love that 15 minute drive. Good for you. I hope the move is smooth.

• Laineylainey says:

You will be near LaineyGirl!!!

Jill, close but no cigar!

Good morning everyone & happy Saturday. Its gonna be 82. I hope you all are.a bit cooler. Have a great day.

3. HAPPY BIRTHDAY FORMERLYADDICTEDTOBRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    NMD I agree that scripted tv does lack in the couch detective department. We like to sniff out the truth, you just can’t do that with scripted tv.

Happy happy Birthday FormerlyAddicted to Bravo!,

Welcome back to the dark side NMD! 🙂

Happy Birthday FAB! 😀

6. Rebecca says:

Happy Birthday FormerlyAddicted to Bravo! What kind of cake do you want?

7. Rebecca says:

Tamra Barney is always judging her cast mates. The name is perfect.

Was is SUR that was caught in cardboard “scandal?”

8. lulu says:

Happy birthday nmd!!!!!

9. plainviewsue says:

She’s back………………………………..!!!!! Love em or hate em, the Bravo “reality” shows never truly leave your blood. Which is kind of scary!!

10. plainviewsue says:

Totally forgot to send my birthday wishes!!!!! And a huge huge thank you for keeping the blog alive!

11. NMH says:

Excellent blog again. I’ve limited my HW watching but always enjoy the blog here. Good morning all and Happy Birthday to all you July birthdayers.

12. windycitywondering2 says:

A most happy birthday NMD! You gave us the best present of all – you kept our little place on the internet together when we lost Lynn. I will forever be grateful and therefore, please have the best birthday evah, because you deserve nothing less!!

13. Iowagirl says:

Happy birthday NMD. As always you did a fantastic job.

14. ramonacoaster says:

Happy Birthday NMD! Hope your day is special and a million thanks for keeping this blog going.

15. Amber...RealWife says:

Happy Birthday NMD & FAB! Hope you both enjoy your day.

Great blog a few thoughts. I never liked Heather or Carole. Ta-da! Both are equally annoying as both were disrespectful towards the veterans. You had SadSackHeather coming in to usurp Ramona as HBIC by way of NoInvitationForYou-ParisEdition. It was akin to first day in prison yard and punching the meanest girl in order to get a bad-ass reputation. No thanks. Then you have Carole, who appeared to be baked but never having the munchies. She was on the LuMan ridicule patrol, our job, and was always playing too cool for school. Meanwhile she’s on the same frigging show and is pumping her books by way of BRAVO! Her gravely kryptkeeper voice along with her FireMarshalBill looks sealed the deal for me. #PotHeadPrincess….Allegedly. 😉

• Laineylainey says:

Love your posts and all your metaphors. You crack me up! I never cared for Heather, still don’t. Her wangster ways; I found insufferable. I think she s well-liked here and that’s cool but I do scratch ma head from time to time about that. I love your prison yard comparison…it was very much like that. She rattled Ramona a little bit, whatevs. But Carole, I do like! Go figure. She’s witty, I like that.

Amber LOVE your assessment of Heather and Carole. Spot ON
      Lollll! 😆
      😆😆

• Ha! I agree on both counts, Amber. I liked Carole at first, but got tired of her arms-length, judginess. She doesn’t seem to realize that she’s one of these gals.

16. Orson says:

Hmm… once, in my younger days, someone told me “Drugs are for people who can’t handle reality.”. I replied, “Maybe reality is for people who can’t handle drugs?”

Happy Birthday NMD. I hope it’s a great one.

18. melthehound says:

Happy Birthday Formally Addicted to Bravo 😀

19. Sasha says:

Happy—Happy—Birthday!!!

Big Brother used to be one of my favorite reality shows. I caught the first episode. Not sure of who I will love or hate. Of course that could change with each episode.

I looked at pics of NeNe’s wedding. She seems to know quite a few show-biz folks. Reality and non-reality.

Vicki and Brooks(BIG SIGH).
    I have to agree with Tamra on what she thinks of Bogus Brooks. I personally don’t like his voice and and I don’t like what he says with that voice.

The first 2 seasons of NY housewives were my favorite. I don’t even have a favorite anymore. These ladies are going to have to woo me back this season if they want me to keep watching.

I don’t get how and why people get so worked up over New Jersey. Now they have gotten to the point where they say what they have to say in front of the camera for the role they are playing for the season. I know they must call each other to discuss what will be discussed when they are filming. This way they won’t have that wild eyed what’s going on look.

• mrspeabody says:

I don’t like his voice either for some reason or what he says with it. It seems like to me he’s always trying to sell you a line of sh*t. I think he reads people well and knows exactly what to say to them and most of it is stupid, he should go after Gretchen, she’s stupid.

Sasha I don’t get worked up over NJ cause I don’t watch those crack pots. I love dishing about them here though cause everyone makes it so much fun. 🙂

• Sasha says:

The last thing that really did get me worked up was the bullying of Alexis. I’m just using her words, but I do think that there was a pack mentality when it came to picking on her. Those witches……….

• Laineylainey says:

I get “worked up”‘ “up in arms”….you name it. But I pretend not to.

20. HAPPY SATURDAY ALL….
    HAPPY BIRTH DAY TO ALL THAT I HAVE MISSED……
    Been busy at work and with mr ford and all his medical stuff….as I say on FB… when I die and come back , I want a WIFE like me to take care of ME….
    been having fun at work..lately it seems like I work as a bouncer in a bar rather than a hotel … good thing I have experience with that…..between drunk guests fighting with other drunk guests…trucks flipping over and almost coming thru the front of the hotel… it’s never a dull moment it seems…… I have the best shifts ever !!!!!!!!
    SSSOOOOO… for some exciting news….
    first…had a GORGEOUS guy check in last night for a lake fishing trip…from South Africa… what an accent he has….could listen to him forever….. I asked him how long it takes to get from SA to USA..says he came by boat…. and I asked him if he was a ” yachtie”…. he started laughing and asked me if I have heard about a show called BELOW DECK on some American tv station called Bravo…..I busted a gut laughing…he knows the crew and today when he gets back I am showing him the link that T-REX posted here a few days ago…. I am sure we have a good time when we read it…..I’ll let you all know what he has to say…..
    SECOND…. another group of guys checked in for yet another fishing trip on the lake for today and sunday….all good looking BUT this one guy caught my attention because of his voice…. just that perfect depth … didn’t pay too much attention to him at first cause I had to get them checked into 5 rooms….
    so, he came down later by himself , needed change for the vending machine…. THEN IT HIT ME.. he looked like Johnny Depp….so we were yaking about fishing etc…. and I finally said something to him about how he reminded me of JD.. he started giggling and took out his phone and showed me a pic of him and JD from the movie BLOW…. they look like twins…
    then we started talking about NYHWS and for the life of me I can’t remember what island they all went to and met up with Tomas……can anyone help me out with what episode that was ??? when he gets back from fishing today he wants to see if there are any videos on BRAVO website he can watch…..lol lol lol
    I am going to see if he will let me take pic of him when he gets cleaned up for dinner tonite….hehehehehehe… complete with fedora on…. he hung out with me at the front desk for about an hour last night just yaking about every and anything…nice guy….
    weather here has been beastly these past few weeks..ya know it’s hot when diva turns the a/c on…weeks like this I miss my boat…and the pool…..
    off to do some fb and then shower for the coal mines….. be back later….

ya all have a great Saturday….
    hugs and peace
    diva

• Ladebra says:

Hi Diva, good to see you back and checking in. It sounds like never a dull moment for you. Don’t you love that saying, what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger? Hope Mr. Ford is doing well. Lucky you finding a Johnny Depp look a-like!

• Laineylainey says:

Wow you spent an hour chit-chatting with a jd/Tomas look alike? I love it!

Diva lady I have missed you. Mr. Ford is doing well. I hope Pita is too.

You meet everyone. You are having a blast. This was the perfect job for you. Work and lots of fun. I cant wait to hear more.

• jeang says:

Diva, what a great time you are having! I have been in that area about 10 years ago and never knew that so much was happening there other than weekend or weekvaca fishing trips, which are fun too. Good for you. Once I fully recover from my treatments, I may have to come check in there and visit with you all. /

Today is not NMD’s birthday.

Happy Birthday Formerly Addicted to Bravo. Hope you have a great birthday.

• Just Wondering in Jersey says:

I’m so glad you straightened out the confusion BB. I thought I had totally lost it. For a change it was somebody else LOL.

23. princesspindy says:

Happy Birthday Formerly Addicted to Bravo!!!

Happy UN~Birthday to NMD!!!

I’m watching OC First Look. You all didn’t tell me Tamra was pregnant when she married Simon. She was pregnant weddings 1&2.

• Laineylainey says:

I totally would have told you, if I’d known!!! Well, I know people say its not a good reason to get married, but I can think of worse reasons! This is why I remind my own “angels” protection,protection, protection. Even though its not the worst reason to get married, I would rather it not factor in with my kids. I think they would marry if prego was a factor. I just realized I’m not confident with the use of worse and worst. Hmmmm…

25. chismosa says:

Happy Birthday Formerly Addicted to Bravo
    🎊🎁🎊🎁🎊🎁🎊🎁💜💜💜💜

26. Laineylainey says:

I recently got the CBS app so. Coud watch under the dome…boo…as usual, CBS only showed clips of it. So I tried to watch Hostages…again only clips. So I went to google and found a place to watch Under The Dome for free …but I forgot what it was. I am thinking “nova”or “nov” was part of the name. My point? I loved under the Dome!!! Very cool!! Lots of good actors! Hank from breaking bad, the hunky deputy from Bates Motel… I loved it! I guess the CBS app wouldn’t let me watch because it hasn’t been 7 days since it aired.

27. Rebecca says:

Did you watch it on your PC? You might be able to find it in your browser history.

28. KTinCT says:

Happy Birthday, Formerly Addicted to Bravo 🙂

Anna Nicole movie is on Lifetime.

Oh my. Palm Springs hit 122 today. Just wow.

• Noelle says:

Temp?…
      Good Lord!!

Yes, it was a record… That is scary hot. Killer hot. Oh my.

Hmm, national news had 115 for Palm Springs. But the local weather had it at 122. Either one is too hot!

• Vegas Chick says:

Death Valley, CA was supposed to hit 129 today. Record for the highest temperature ever is 134. 116 in Vegas today. Thank goodness for the cloud coverage.

Wowzer!!! I think it was Wednesday when I saw this guy that I believe is a professor on tv that that this summer we will probably see record breaking heat. The hottest in history.

• lillybee says:

106 here , expecting about 115 next week.

666 Park Ave came back on last Saturday. I didn’t see that epi but I am checking it out tonight now during commercial from Anna Nicole. I don’t know if this means 666 was saved since it was cancelled in the Fall.

I watched last week Powell! TIt was a good one. They are answering questions, sorta. I’m not sure it’s back for good but I liked the show so I hope so!

So is Vanessa Williams character dead?

Vanessa was alive on last week’s show. I recorded last night but haven’t watched yet. Did you watch? What do you think? Is it back, or wrapping up loose ends?

Did anyone catch Devious Maids on Lifetime? Susan Lucci is playing one of the rich ladies. It was funny & very good. I don’t know why there was so much backlash about it. Like there aren’t Hispanic maids anylonger. There was the same backlash when the movie The Help like there aren’t any African American maids today. Maids have bought homes and put kids thru college so I don’t see anything wrong w/being a maid.

• Laineylainey says:

I saw a little bit of it. I wasn’t too impressed with the writing, the employers were too cartoonish/buffoonish for my taste and I find it a bit offensive that there are only Hispanic maids. Not that there are Hispanic maids on tis show, but there are ONLY Hispanic maids on this show. I could be wrong, maybe there are other nationalities represented, since I didn’t watch for very long. But yes, I was a Bit turned off by it, just saying since you asked! 😬

• dch60 says:

You probably won’t ever see this but Ava Longoria is a producer/creator, something like that. Does that make it any better about the all Hispanic maids? Isn’t that kinda the same thing as it’s okay for black people to use the “n” word? I think it’s much worse that it’s suggesting that there is something insulting about being a maid. If it’s insulting to anyone, it’s maids in general.

• Laineylainey says:

I see this. I know Eva Longoria’s role in this project. Why would that make it better? Or worse? It just is. I don’t understand the logic/lack of logic in your question in regards to Eva’s role.

I also don’t understand the leap you made from my opinion to people using the n word. Sorry I sincerely don’t understand what you’re driving at with our loaded questions. They are questions, so I’m attempting to address your questions.

I have questions, too. Are you a maid? If not, then why do you find my comment insulting to maids? If you are a maid, then I apologize if my opinion hurts your feelings, but I stand by my opinion and do not feel the need to explain myself to you. And to be fair you don’t have to explain why you’ve decided to be offended by the maids of the world. g’head, knock yourself out.

Go maids! Yay, maids! I wish I had one!!! Or two!

• Laineylainey says:

Your loaded not our loaded…iPad…what can I say?

• Laineylainey says:

Sorry ….”on behalf of the maids”. Instead of . “By the maids”…I hope you understand me with all my typos.

My sister just called to let me know that our cousin and his wife are coming for a visit but
    they are going to Las Vegas first. I don’t have the heart to tell them how hot it’s going to be
    as they have never been there before. It won’t be a picnic here in LA either. I pray that they
    don’t want to go to Disneyland. OMG please no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Calling ladebra…Can you be bought? lol

34. Noelle says:

HI Powell, love yous along with ladybra!! xx

Check out her dress…

Does anyone know when filming will be over for the BH Housewives?
    Yolanda is in Italy so maybe they are already done?

IDK, but she has been traveling for 2-3 weeks now, so they have either wrapped or on a break. I’m not seeing any tweets of them together except Brandi and Yolanda in the last month.

Yo must really really be in love. Otherwise all this love and light she puts out would be exhausting 😀

July 4-7 is the Walking Dead S4 preview. They will show S1-3 in order.

Morning everyone. 🙂

44. cusi77 says:

Today is the Day! HAPPY BRITHDAY NOMOREDRAMA! Thank you very much for everything you did, and you are still doing for keeping this LynnFam Together, Dear Friend!

I can’t thank you enough, God Bless you, Have a great day!