Racism and Homophobia – Big Brother Season 15

Racism and Homophobia – Intolerance is no longer tolerated, by NMD

Dr. WILL KIRBY @ReallyWILLKIRBY

“On reality tv shows you shouldn’t base hate on gender, ethnicity, national origin, religion or sexual orientation. Hate everyone equally! ;)”

Julie Chen, host of Big Brother for the last 15 seasons, is nicknamed the ChenBot.  She’s cool, calm, and even robotic at times in her interaction with the audience and cast of the show.  Last Thursday I watched her interview the current head of household Aaryn, and my back stiffened a little when I heard the tone of her voice.  Julie was clearly seething.  The interview went something like this.  Julie asked Aaryn about the cameras being on her 24 hours a day, and some of the comments she made.  I can’t remember if Julie referenced the racist comments, but they had been covered a little earlier on the show.  Aaryn said that she was an open book and America could see who she was.  Julie answered, “yes, they certainly can,” in a voice dripping with so much disdain that I did a double take.  If I were Julie, I would be at home right now coming up with sharp one-liners to toss at the Aaryn, GinaMarie, and Spencer – who are the ringleaders of the racist and homophobic rants in the house.

Aaryn’s racist comments were addressed on-air when castmate Amanda took her aside and tried to explain how her comments were hurtful to some of the other cast members.  The producers were also overheard telling Aaryn to “watch her comments.”  She must be very stupid, because she still doesn’t get it.  Here’s an exchange between Aaryn and Spencer that was captured by Morty’s TV (they recap the live feeds) last night.

7:29PM BBT: Aaryn and Spencer are talking together. Spencer hopes that Amanda’s characterization of Aaryn’s racism will be squashed in the house, and won’t affect her outside life.

Aaryn thinks Amanda made it up to make her look like a monster. Spencer says he doesn’t think Aaryn is a racist. Aaryn says the most horrible thing they could say about her is calling her a racist. “It’s not only bad, it affects my whole life”. Spencer: “It may never be mentioned outside of these walls.”

Spencer is very articulate and sensitive to the way remarks can hurt people. Listening to him, you’d never believe that his remarks are also under scrutiny.

Spencer suggests that if, when she gets out of the house, and finds that her reputation has been hurt, that she do some volunteer work to help show her in a better light. Aaryn won’t hear of it and tells him she has no intention of addressing the issue, because she sees no point in drawing attention to something that’s no true.

Aaryn: “I’m blonde, blue eyes and from the south, so of course they’d portray me a racist.

For those of you that don’t follow the live feeds or read the blogs, and only get your information from the show – it was a little more than a few comments about white and black fish.

Here  is a list of the racist and homophobic comments joker’s update has collected so far:

“This is a growing list. Some of the flashback times may be off a bit.

Aaryn
•Re: Candice: Be careful what you say in the dark, you might not be able to see the bitch (6/30 ~7:45pm)
•I want to put a washcloth over her face and pour water over it (6/30 7:42pm C1/2)
•Aaryn was complaining about the Asian women who do her nails and imitated their Asian accent. Helen was right outside too.
•Said she was so drunk she made Asian eyes (6/30 ~5:20PM)
•About Helen: Dude, shut up, go make some rice (6/30 1:14AM)
•Andy will get MVP because people love the queers (6/29 11:40PM)
•No one’s going to vote for whoever that QUEER puts up re: Andy
•Quick to correct Candice’s pronunciation of “ask” (as opposed to axe) but is fine with GM saying it as axe
•Bragged about making Asian eyes in the DR

Spencer
•Says the C word at 6/29 4:35-4:36am Cam 3 and again 6/29 4:41am Cam 3
•Candice laid her head on Spencer’s shoulder and he said “Sure you’re not gonna get my shirt greasy?”
•Praised the Nazi doctors
•Called Helen Kim Jong Un
•calls Andy Kermit the fag to his face (6/29 ~4:40pm)
•Called women the c-word
•Says “Bitch, get your ass cooking” (6/30 ~1:57pm)

GinaMarie
•Candice is on the dark side because she already is dark (6/30 ~7:45pm)
•Calls welfare “nig***” insurance (6/30 1:16PM Cam 1/2)
•Said blacks stick together and that they’re “tokens” in the house (6/30 ~4:18AM)
•Candice’s “blackness” is showing now that she’s not on the block (6/30 ~4:20AM)
•They should make Helen’s eyes “straight”
•Said something about weaves being ghetto and then looked at Candice (6/29)
•Helen should kiss their asses and serve them rice (June 29, 2:42pm Cam3)
•Told Nick in the lounge that the way Candice talks is fake because she talks too white (6/29)
•Said that Candice had that black thing going. intimating that she was getting ghetto (1st night of feeds)
•Mocked Candice’s voice in a stereotypical fashion

Kaitlyn
•Said “nigga” but not in a reference to black people but more like “dude” (6/27 3:28AM C3)
•says Candice came at her acting aggressive and she was thinking Candice’s black side was coming out (6/27 ~5:47AM)
•Said “Gays are untrustworthy in a game like this”

Amanda
•Calls herself the fag hag queen (6/29 ~5:30PM)

David
•said his sheets are dirty because “black Candice” was on them (6/30 3:05pm C1)

Edited by sockruhtese (06/30/13 07:54 PM)

Read more: http://forums.jokersupdates.com/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Board=BBDiscussion&Number=19470364#ixzz2Z25qENHc

________________________________

Aaryn and GinaMarie have already been fired from their real jobs outside the house. Spencer can’t be fired because he’s in a union, but his parents have come out and said that he is normally a pretty decent guy and was just going along with the talk just to fit in.  All three will find out what it is like to live with the label of “racist” for the rest of their lives.

Intolerance is not tolerated in this country, which is a good thing, but racism and homophobia obviously still exist.  We are lucky that the behavior exhibited in the house is considered completely unacceptable.  A few generations ago, it wasn’t like that.

The game will play on.  Candice, Howard, Helen, and Andy will have to be locked in the house with people who dislike them because of the color of their skin, the shape of their eyes, or their sexual orientation.  But there are far more people that dislike racists and homophobes – as Aaryn, GinaMarie, and Spenser will find out soon enough.  The tide is turning, and while this season of Big Brother has been vile to watch, the backlash has been heartening.

________________________________________________________

This entry was posted in Big Brother 14 plus and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

104 Responses to Racism and Homophobia – Big Brother Season 15

1. Kat From Ohio says:

the whole thing is disgusting. people who say we live in a post-racism society are deluded… and probably white.

Amen Kat!

Yes it is. I don’t watch BB but I can’t wait til those 3 are back out into the real world to face the result of their actions. That will be the best part of the game IMO.

Good afternoon.

3. melthehound says:

Bringing this over from the other blog..

Morning everyone… I’ve told you about my in real life friend with the cats before.. Last year her mother was diagnosed with Dementia. 3 weeks ago, she started on a fast downhill slide and this morning, I just now got the voice mail, she passed away. There’s a whole lot of detail I won’t go into out of respect for my friend but if you have some positive light to send to her, I would appreciate it. I think her mother was in her late 80s.

As for the topic of today’s post, I will never really understand venom towards people just because of the way they are born. Something no one can change. It’s pointless hate towards people who in all likelihood, have no real affect on their lives. Hating a black man (or a white one for that matter) because of his DNA… no words can justify it.. I still want the cameras on these people’s faces when they find out they are not only Not the BB winner, but are also unemployed.

See you all later for the NJ Chat.

MTH I’m very sorry for your friend’s loss of her mom. I know its hard for her but her mom is no longer suffering. Bless her and their family.

Praying for your friend on the loss of her mom. Having gone through recent issues with my own mom, I feel for her.

• Rebecca says:

My prayers go out to your friend and her family. Dementia runs through my family and I witness the cruelty of it up close.

Jeff, if you have any pictures of your own with your friend’s mother in them, get them to her when she’s ready. It will mean a lot.

MTH I can never understand why there are people that hate people because they are not like them. The only thing I can ever come to is that they are scared of what is different than they are. I don’t know why there are some people who are scared in that way. It is astonishing to me. I was born in Brooklyn, very diverse w/all types of people. My mom worked w/people of all nationalities from all over the world. I was taught to embrace all types of people. I went to school w/all types of people. From the time I was a little girl I have learned from all types of people. I think having those experiences makes one have an expanded outlook of the world and the people in it. So the 3 in the BB house are now living in their own bubble & when they get out if they don’t do some reflecting & figure out what they are scared of, and see that they need to make positive changes in their head, body, mind & soul they will be forever living trapped in their bigotry.

• Laineylainey says:

So sorry for your friend, MTH

• AZGirl says:

Sending good thoughts for your friend. It is hard to loose a parent to Dementia.

• boston02127 says:

Mel—Sending you and your friend good thoughts & prayers. (hugs)

• cusi77 says:

Mel Let your friend know that many people are thinking in her and sending her the best thoughts, prayers and my heart goes her way.

• melthehound says:

Thank you everybody. Chances are she will never see this because she doesn’t watch HWs or Bravo but I do always tell her about these. Cusi77, beautiful piece you chose from YouTube 😀

Thank you for bringing these comments to the forefront. I am a watcher of BB, but I want everyone who doesn’t watch to see/hear these horrible comments. Racists/homophobes need to be called out and shown their hateful and nasty points of view. I thought that Aaryn, Ginamaire and Spencer should have been removed immediately after hearing their spew, but now I think the more rope they are given, the more the impact will be on them when they are put out of the house.

HH,
      How is your ear feeling?

Hi Nancy! Still can’t hear out of it and I had a bit of pain in it yesterday as well. I’ll give this round of antibiotics a little more time and then I’m afraid it’s off to a specialist for me. Thanks for asking.

You poor thing. Please get to an ENT doctor as soon as you can. This has been going
          on way too to long now. (((HH)))

CBS shouldn’t pull them from the house. Let you said they should just be given more rope .

Hi Powel,
        I’ve never watched the show but after reading NMD’s blog I think I did myself a favor.

That’s a good point Husker, bc I was just going to post this:

I get it ….but I guess the producers have no standards for removal unless maybe it’s physical violence

From above on BB- which I don’t watch: We are lucky that the behavior exhibited in the house is considered completely unacceptable. A few generations ago, it wasn’t like that.

If its unacceptable then why are those people still in the house? I don’t get it– were they kicked out by producers ? I hope so!

5. Mene Seela says:

MTH from the earlier blog … I am very sorry that friend lost her mom. God Speed to the family.

6. Mene Seela says:

I have a question concerning the GZ court verdict yesterday. I just saw on tv the neighborhood and the sidewalk where the confrontation occurred. It looks to me like a small private apartment/condo community not a regular city street and sidewalk. All this time I thought it was a normal public area, like a standard city street and city sidewalk that everyone could be on. On tv it looks like a narrow-ish paved path bordered by lawns between a long row of attached residences.

My question is was this neighborhood private property? Were there signs etc?

My husband and I didn’t really follow the coverage closely because it is too time consuming and the media hype was upsetting and confusing to us. But we both had a much different impression on where this happened.

7. lillybee says:

Even if it were a gated community, Trevon had every right to be there since he was staying with his father.

If he had only done what the 911 operator said none of this would have happened.
      It’s heartbreaking!

8. iceNfire says:

I have a question too. Aaryn is from Texas and she keeps saying she is southern. Is Texas considered Southern? I’ve always thought of Texas as Western. – idk

• melthehound says:

I have never considered Texas to be part of The South… Southwestern, yes.. Southern, No. I don’t think that girl is very intelligent.

• Laineylainey says:

Being from Texas, most of us don’t consider ourselves Southerners, we consider ourselves,…wait for it…TEXANS. Texas Tart what do you think? you might disagree with me, I don’t know… but there is a lot of state pride here and we kinda don’t feel like Texans can be lumped in with any other region, except American. We think we are really special and unique. Annoying, maybe. Arrogant? Probably. We don’t care. That’s what I know about being a Texan.

• iceNfire says:

Hi Lainey! I don’t know why I let Aaryn question my thought, ofcourse if you are from Texas you are a TEXAN!

You sure she doesn’t spell her name “Aryan”? With a name like that, who would be surprised at what she says?

9. Rebecca says:

Having people over for dinner, so I made the famous Momofuku crack pie. Wish me luck. It’s so rich it even smells like a heart attack

I’ve been so disgusted with CBS because Aaryn and GinaMarie are so shocking to listen to. Shocking. They are two vile people.

I wrote to CBS. I think the two of them should be walked off the show ASAP.

• melthehound says:

I am just waiting for the interviews when they get kicked out…. That will be must see TV.. I told someone last night that I hope Julie offers them rice as a parting gift.

• Laineylainey says:

As awful as this BB stuff is,… It opened my eyes a bit. It’s better to know that these attitudes are alive and very real in this country. It’s disheartening, but the reaction of BB viewers from all walks of life is,on the other hand, encouraging and somewhat restorative. As always there is a duality coexisting… Evil and good. Keep up the good fight, friends!

• melthehound says:

While the targets may be different, I think these attitudes are alive in every country. I know that the USA is where we live but let’s not pretend that this is a USA problem only.

• Pawlala says:

Honestly, I do not watch the show. But, I was reading some of the things the men were saying about women that were equally as offensive. The outcry does seem to be directed mainly at the two women and focusing on the racism and homophobia, but aren’t there a couple of the men on the show who were just as vile?

I guess I have a problem with why the racist/homophobic remarks are being called out, but the sexist horrible things being said by several of the male participants aren’t getting much attention. It seems to be focused on Aaryn, Gena Marie and, to some extent, Spencer. Are we just used to men talking this way about women, to the point that we have become immune? Either way, from what I have read, Aaryn seems like an absolutely terrible human being.

As an aside, I used to post over on Lynn’s blog occasionally. I miss her terribly. It was the only RHOW blog I enjoyed. I just found you guys and so happy you have decided to carry on in her memory.

• Laineylainey says:

Hi pawlala! Welcome! YOu are absolutely right the vile comments about women should also be under fire! In fact not sure if you noticed a poster named Susan pointed that out further down in a new thread. It is really terrible to make comments like those about women, so yes, I agree with you. Those comments are equally bad.

11. melthehound says:

Aaryn
    Someone should put her in a completely dark room so we can get a look at her (you won’t see her either).

Then she should learn to do her own nails.

•Said she was so drunk she made Asian eyes (6/30 ~5:20PM)
    A lot of people use that excuse. It doesn’t work for them either,.

•Andy will get MVP because people love the queers (6/29 11:40PM)
    •No one’s going to vote for whoever that QUEER puts up re: Andy
    She has been proven wrong 3 times in a row now. She’s too stupid to know it though.

• Laineylainey says:

MTH Have you ever seen Anjelah Johnson’s manicurist standup act? What Aaryn was saying about manicurists, It was really mean, but I think Aaryn was borrowing from Anjelah Johnsons “beautiful nail” schtick. Did anyone else notice this?

• melthehound says:

No, I haven’t.. I have seen other routines about going to nail salons though that I found quite funny 😆

• melthehound says:

I take that back.. I didn’t recognize her name at first… I have seen her ….

&http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baDJ-ZIvYy0

• Laineylainey says:

Yeah, that’s it. Love your honesty. I thought it was funny, too. Eeek! This whole BB business makes me check my own attitudes. She also has a character named Bon qui qui. Offensive? yes. Funny? yes. I guess if I was truly evolved, ,I wouldn’t find either of those “characters” funny. It’s the absurd exagerrations that make her funny. No? Maybe not. Oh gosh….flustered.

12. Laineylainey says:

I am stuck at home this weekend, because I had a chemical peel, and it looks like I have beef jerky on my face. I finished watching United States of Tara, and started watching Sons of Anarchy season 1. Whoah….it’s sooooooo good. Can’t stop watching it.

• lillybee says:

I agree with you about Sons. Now I am watching a Netflix original, Orange is the New Black.

Hi Lainey,
      There is another BBC program called Doc Martin. Maybe BB could post season one
      as she did that with Call the Midwife. It’s #1 in Britain and it is well worth your time.
      I just watched all 5 seasons within a few days. (I’m on strict hand rest per my doc)

I’m sure you’ll love the results from your chemical peel. Let us know. 🙂

Here is a taste of it.

• Laineylainey says:

I watched season one of “call the midwife”. I loved it. I cried a lot though. I’ve been watching Doc Martin intermittently through the years. Such a good show and don’t you just love the setting? I would love to live there. Or at least visit. I have had a peel before, last year, I did like the results. I haven’t even started peeling. I took Monday off, dang it…I hope I start peeling NOW!!

• princesspindy says:

In your honor Lainey…..This Gravatar is for you!!!
          I watched the first episode of Orange is the new black last night…I will watch another before I commit… But I watched Sherlock, the BBC show, oh wow, my daughter has been forcing me to watch Elementary with her, I HATE it, I only watch if I can make fun of it and make jokes….anyhoo, Sherlock was sooo much better, IPPHO!!

• Laineylainey says:

Oh,PP you gave me a good belly laugh!!!!! It’s funny, curious, redonkulous, that I chose to do this to myself!!! The beef jerky is like super glued to my face I keep smiling to try to encouraging it to separate from my skin. My husband says it’s rather macabre. ( my scary smiling). Haha!

• princesspindy says:

One of our family’s favorites jokes, ok, I admit, MY favorite joke, is when someone, ok, my kids, hurt their face and I say “Does your face hurt?” and they say “yes” and I reply “Cuz it’s killing me!” lol My kids will NOT answer the question anymore 😦 not matter how nicely I ask 😦 I think they are on to me 😦

• LavaLady says:

I watched the first five epis of Orange is the New Black. And I am hooked. I love it. Did you know it was also a book. I read it a few years ago.

• princesspindy says:

I didn’t know it was a book, i just saw someone post about last night on fb, I just finished up The Sopranos and started Boardwalk Empire but I like it but don’t want to “get into” right now….so I watched Orange….of course it was at 1am so I decided to go to sleep rather than watching the next epi, lol.. .;)

Doc Martin is good. I watch it here and there. The Doc is funny.

Toni Collette will be on a new CBS drama this season called Terrorist.

• melthehound says:

I don’t know if S5 of Sons of Anarchy is on Netflix yet but if you get that far, here is the entire series..

To help you (and everyone else) watch these freebies, I put this together.

Lainey I want a peel so badly…. Will ask you more later this week
      Maybe on the diet/health page
      💆💇💅💄

Weather here is driving me crazy. Dark clouds..still no rain.

14. princesspindy says:

Oh my gosh, I just remembered that NJ is on tonight….makes me think of the West Wing episode when Sam is on TV with Kristin Chenowith and Josh runs in and tells Toby, ” Toby, come quick. Sam’s getting his ass kicked by a girl. Toby replies, “Ginger, get the popcorn.”

Popping corn tonight!!!

PrincessP I was coming on to say you all know I don’t watch but I’m gonna see the fight scene. I want to see how this all goes down. Dies anyone have an idea of when the fight will begin? I don’t want to watch the entire epi.

• melthehound says:

It’s after the first 10 minutes of the show.. Probably at the end of the episode knowing the typical Bravo edits (but not certain of that)..

• princesspindy says:

Oh you know it will be at the end, lol!!

I’m watching NJ. Something is soooo fishy about the Manzero’s apartment.

• Amalfi says:

They are separated. No question. She is still pretending. Al is making is obligatory contractual appearances. They won’t divorce. He’ll still keep having affairs. She will keep taking it out on Teresa.

In other words, god forbid she accept the weaknesses in own marriage and sibling relationships when she can instead live in Unicorn-land and chastise Teresa for her marriage and sibling relationship.

Boston did you take your board for a spin. ? 🙂

16. Amalfi says:

I have never watched this show, but what an interesting social experiment.

You can see that those without skills resort to other ways to raise themselves up. It’s all “Lord of The Flies” in there, isn’t it?

Having to see (or in my case, read) about the ongoing existence of such ugly people in 2013 is probably not a terrible thing. Ugliness is alive and well – and when we delude ourselves into thinking much of that is in the past, then these vile people are the wake up call that most decent people need.

17. Susan says:

To me Spencer’s worst remark was “No means keep going” in reference to trying to have sex. He also said something like I never had sex without getting the girl drunk first. Maybe rape needs to be explained to him along with tolerating gays, Blacks and Jews.

18. Stars99 says:

Mel – So sorry to hear about your friend’s mom… I’m really glad that you are there for her, though… A shoulder to cry on and the other to lean on is so comforting during these times. Prayers and thoughts to those who are experiencing this loss.

19. KTinCT says:

((((MTH’s Friend))))) Sending positive thoughts and prayers to your friend, MTH

20. chismosa says:

Joking …..
    “Where is the new effin blog!?!?!!!!!!”

Totally kidding ….. Was from earlier this week. Lainey will get me.
    Have fun tonight youse

21. VV says:

(((Jeff and Jeff’s friend)))