Dancing With The Stars

DWTS ABC logo

Dancing with the Stars S18E1 by BB

I’m going to skip all the guest appearances, extra dancing and most of the background info and get right to the competitive part.  New hostess Erin Andrews’ voice is a little annoying, but she’s definitely more comfortable in front of a camera. than Brooke. Her sports casting experience definitely shows.  They also have a new band, singers and musical director.   I may be focusing more on NeNe since she’s regularly featured on the blog.

Up first are NeNe and Tony.  NeNe is all about the fun and personality.  She never took a dance class, but she has a lot of soul. She sees the ice dancers as the main competition.  They dance the cha, cha, cha.  Not bad at all.  If she was nervous, she covered it well.  A nice start s the way to get the party started.  Bruno loves her energy and enthusiasm.  Carrie Ann says she has a larger than life personality.  They score 21 points.

James and Peta are second.  They have a past (they dated or were friends, depending on who you talk to) and Peta is shocked when he walks through the door.  He’s definitely the eye candy of the show.  They dance the fox trot and do a good job.  They also score 21.

The third pair are Danica and Val.  She wants to grow from the little girl image on the show.  They also dance the fox trot.  They seem suited to each other and I really enjoyed watching them.  Their score is 24.

Up fourth are Sean and Karina.  He comes across as a jerk, but Karina finds him funny.  They will be dancing a contemporary dance.  To me contemporary dance is interpretive and I’m not sure what to interpret from this dance.  It was fascinating to Carrie Ann.  They score a 20.  Sean is disappointed because he thought they deserved three 9’s.

Billie Dee and Emma are up fifth.  He’s 77, has arthritis in his back and has had two hip operations.  Good for him for just showing up.  They are dancing the cha cha cha to the Star Wars theme of course.   Emma pretty much does all the dancing and it was difficult for me to watch.  They get a score of 15.

The sixth pair are Merrill and Maks.  Maks shouldn’t be surprised that she’s practically a pro.  They are dancing the cha cha cha.  This really isn’t a fair competition with the ice dancers in it.  NeNe is just standing there kind of nodding her head, probably thinking, OK, just what I predicted.  Len said she’s nice on ice, but she’s good on wood (whoops!).  Maks puts his hands over her ears at that point.  They got a 24.  I think the judges are purposely holding back on the scores so as not to make it obvious how much of an advantage the ice dancers have.

Candace and Mark are up seventh.  Back in the day, Candace got dumped by Jeremy Miller for Danica.  Candace tells Mark she’s not going to be the sexy girl, but she is going to be competitive.  They will also be dancing contemporary.  I liked their contemporary dance much better than Sean and Karina’s, but I’m no expert.  Len tells Candace she can dance.  Her kids in the audience are so cute.  Carrie Ann tells her she’s an incredible dancer and she wants to work with her.  Their score is 25.

Up eighth is Cody and Whitney.  They talk about his girlfriend (GiGi Hadid) who is not named but he tells Whitney she lives in New York.  They do a very modern and energetic rendition of the cha cha cha.  I hope it has enough cha cha cha moves for Len.   GiGi is in the audience.  They get warned by the judges to work on the basics, techniques, and for Cody to watch his big feet.  They score a 22 (which I think is a little generous).

Drew and Cheryl are the ninth couple dancing.  I’ve liked Drew Carey since The Drew Carey show.  They dance the fox trot.  Drew looks like he had fun with it.  Len said it was very watchable.  Drew will probably get by on his entertaining style for a while.  They score a 21.

The tenth couple are Amy and Derek.  She is a double amputee after contracting bacterial meningitis at the age of 19.  She has two prosthetic legs and just won a snowboarding bronze medal at the Paralympics.  Derek was nervous at the beginning.  Derek was in Sochi practicing with her while she competed.  She just returned to the U.S. this past Friday.  They dance the cha cha cha.   You certainly cannot tell she has any type of disability.  Len tells her she gets no special treatment, but she deserves a gold medal for
that dance.  Bruno is gobsmacked.  Carrie Ann is in shock and tells her it was an honor to watch her dance.  They get a score of 24.

Up next, Diana and Henry.  She says she is a number one fan of the show.  She is having trouble wearing heels.  Her swimming mantra has always been to find a way and she’s applying that to dancing.  They dance the fox trot and you can tell she’s out of her comfort zone.  They score an 18.

Charlie and Sharna are the last to dance.  They dance a contemporary dance.  I thought it was good as would be expected.  Carrie thinks they are a perfect match and it was poetry in motion. Len will be interested to see if Charlie dances the other dances as well as he did contemporary.  Their score is 27.

So here’s a breakdown of the scores:  In the lead with 27 are Charlie and Sharna; second are Candace and Mark with 25;  Danica and Val, Merrill and Maks, and Amy and Derek have 24 points per couple; Cody and Whitney have 22; NeNe and Tony, James and Peta, and Drew and Cheryl have 21 points per couple; Sean and Karina have 20 points; Diana and Henry have 18 points; and Billie Dee and Emma have 15 points.

See you next Monday.  According to Erin, there will be a surprise announcement at the beginning of the show that is supposed to change the competition.

This entry was posted in Dancing With the Stars. Bookmark the permalink.

105 Responses to Dancing With The Stars

Happy spring to everyone – especially to those of you who have had such a horrible winter!

The Big Dance is upon us. Do you have your brackets filled out yet? Go Big Red!!!

Hi HH!! Hi everyone! Happy Spring!!

• Jill...no not THAT Jill -Team T-Rex says:

Happy Spring…I hope we have a nice long beautiful spring season!!
      HH-my brackets are done!! I’m determined to win the pool this year-(I haven’t one once in at least 15 years!!)
      #badpicks?
      #lovemarchmadness!!

Jill – I already have 1 loser and one about ready to lose and we’re only four games into this thing. Oy!

• Jill...no not THAT Jill -Team T-Rex says:

HH-I got a loser already too…damn it!! I hate having a loss in the first game-it’s all down hill for me after that!!

Protect your Final Four and then you should be O.K. I took UCLA (what was I thinking! Had to pick one Cinderella even if they are a 4 seed), Michigan St., Arizona and Michigan. O.K., I’m from the Big 10 – does it show much?!? Good luck Jillzy!

• Jill...no not THAT Jill -Team T-Rex says:

Ever since Gonzaga made it that one year I’m always looking to pick a Cinderella team!!
              Good luck to you to HH!!

• Rebecca can't understand why people don't appreciate the importance of dragons. says:

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

Husker, you already got a National champion this past weekend when Romero Cotton of UN Kearney took home a wresting title. Go Mero!

I have the Jayhawks going quite a way. I was always a Kansas basketball fan unless they were playing my Huskers.

Sorry to admit it, but I had no idea that UNK had a national champion wrestler. How do you know? I went to Kearney State College (as it was known when I went there) many moons ago. Congratulations to this young man.

My local college and where my son is a junior, Midland University, the men’s basketball team lost in the NAIA national championship game this last Tuesday in Branson, MO to a team from Indiana.

Lots of sports going on right now and I’m lovin’ it!

This young man will eventually be my nephew. He is a true story of redemption. He screwed up, took his punishment and is back to live life as a better person.

Love me a good second chance story. Congratulations again and I will keep an eye out for him in the future. Kearney’s a great school and community. Go Lopers!

Just looked him up on the UNK website. He’s a sophomore! Two more years to cheer for him.

• Happy spring, no basketball for me but I am noticing some gravatar’s are getting into the spirit, this may be fun to watch.

Yes!!! I’m keeping my fingers crossed that #SpringhasSprung. 🙂

2. Jan (TexasTart) says:

Good day everyone. 😀 Seems to be a little confusion as to who was putting up the blog today.

• Jill...no not THAT Jill -Team T-Rex says:

You guys are doing a great job Tartsy!! Thank you!!!!

• MelTheHound - Team T-Rex says:

There is no confusion, I was supposed to do it. I fell asleep in the middle of the night/morning and didn’t wake up til very late today. Apologies. :/

• LOL!! You will NEVER make it as a HW with that attitude!!! Taking responsibility and all for your actions or lack there of!!!!! Apologizing right away without a “sit down” and someone begging you to apologize!!!! And I am sure that pleases you to no end because I know you would NEVER want to be a HW or a HH!!!!! 🙂

Pindy, Mel made a typo. He meant to say “Lisa didn’t give me a wake up call this morning. And I have a boo-boo. STFU”

• MelTheHound - Team T-Rex says:

Heheheeee

• shamrockblonde says:

LOLOLOLOL!!!!! too funny Orson! and absolutely correct!! – it was Lisa’s fault!! –

you all make this blog look seamless and easy and that is simple feat – thanks so much for all that you do!

as for March Madness – it keeps me very busy at work and keeps me from sitting here in the Lynnfam den with all of you – so want it to be over, but Lisa will probably see to it that it goes on till September – she will also use mind control over Brandi to perform at every halftime, during which she will injure herself and endlessly say she is fine – and of course, Carlton will volunteer to bring her own pole and do a pole dance the second that Brandi hurts herself and will not stop because no one commands her!

and someone get Kim down from the nosebleed seats please – Kyle would but she is much too preoccupied wondering if Lisa is her friend – Yo is attempting to arrange seating for the players courtside – its not going well –

• Jan (TexasTart) says:

Pindy and Orson, that is hilarious 😆

• MelTheHound - Team T-Rex says:

Hey, i take responsibility when I know I’m wrong. Otherwise there will have to be a sitdown and you’re going to have to convince me 😉 Really though, I apologize to Jan(TexasT).. I told her I would have it done.

• Nobody has sent the dragons to have a talk with you so I think it will be ok! You guys are doing great and as Adiva says it takes a village!

• Jan (TexasTart) says:

Looks like Jeff and I are going to have a CONVERSATON. 😉 But seriously, he’s had his crosses to bear lately and I completely understand. All is good.

Thanks for the encouragement from the rest of you folks.

• MelTheHound - Team T-Rex says:

I am not having conversations with anybody. You want to talk, chat, kick dirt on each other’s shoes, I’m there.. Conversations, go see the lemondrop. She likes to have those 😉

Very Hollywood Friend of you. Don’t run away, have the conversation with Lemondrop! I wanna watch.

Sounds like MTH wants to wait until the reunion. Long gowns or shorter dresses this time around? I hope long, otherwise I’ll just have the hair on my legs macramed; it’ll look like I’m wearing fishnets.

So can we take it that the Princess is feeling better? 😉

Well if you went to bad at a decent hour like the rest of us and not party til 5 a.m. then maybe you’d be bright eyed and bushy tailed but you had to get your party on. Tsk, tsk, tsk. Just invite us next time. 😉 No prob MTH. 🙂

Hi, guys. Something got lost in the translation. This should have been the first paragraph of my recap.

I’m going to skip all the guest appearances, extra dancing and most of the
    background info and get right to the competitive part. New hostess Erin
    Andrews’ voice is a little annoying, but she’s definitely more comfortable in
    front of a camera. than Brooke. Her sports casting experience definitely shows.
    They also have a new band, singers and musical director. I may be focusing
    more on NeNe since she’s regularly featured on the blog.

• Good recap, I don’t watch so your recap is the only reason I will know what the others are talking about around the water cooler when it comes to Dancing with the Stars

• trudie says:

BB, I agree about Billy Dee. I give him credit for trying, but it was uncomfortable to watch. I like to think that my screen stars don’t age.

Trudie I’m the same way. You view the movie stars you love as they were once upon a time on screen. A lot of people don’t like the older stars on DWTS but I do. We know they aren’t going to win but it’s great to see them do something out of their element.

• Jan (TexasTart) says:

Sorry it’s not as you send to me, let me try to fix it.

• Jan (TexasTart) says:

BB, I fixed it. It was Teresa’s fault.

Exit!!! Exit4!!! I need you to use your $9.99 subscription and prove to the blog that Jill is the fourth Richard’s sister. Please pretty please.

🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

5. LaineyLainey says:

Thanks for the recap BB. I thought Nene did really great! I think it is just way too unfair that they got these ice dancers…they say that they ARE learning and that it is all new to them ….ummmmm….yeah, whatevs. BS

Oh and Erin did a good job. She kept talking about herself…which I guess is understandable. It still annoyed me. But it was her first day, so…she will only get better, I’m sure!

I don’t mind the skaters but they do have a big advantage cuz they train in ballet so they learn movements and learn to be graceful. But it’s not all so “New” to them.

• Shiny says:

and they are already super fit in most of the needed muscles and stamina, unlike most of those from other professions.

Yeah, not so new, for sure! Well, I like watching them, so I don’t mind them either. It’s a treat to watch a professionally trained dancer showcasing their skills.

• mm in oc says:

Thats bull crap. Ice skaters take all types of traditional dance classes to round out their skills.

Good afternoon everyone. Boy oh boy you all can talk. 😀 How’s everyone doing?

As the weeks go on the dances get more complicated and the training more grueling so I just hope NeNe continues to listen to Tony cuz we know how she can be.

8. catmom1 says:

Bringing this over from the yesterdays RHONY page. Thanks to I Need A Life mentioning the interesting comment ALL about Aviva that was left at the Vulture recap of RHONY. If you haven’t read Brian Moylan’s Vulture recap, you should. To save you from searching for the comment, I’ve posted the direct link for that. Happy 1st day of Spring.

This is the link for the Vulture recap, which is excellent, btw. http://www.vulture.com/2014/03/real-housewives-of-new-york-city-recap-season-6-carole-ghostwriter.html#comments

Here’s the link for the comment. Wow. The poster says they copied it from the reviews on Amazon http://my.nymag.com/Potamus/profile/

• mariareads says:

I wonder how this reviewer knows so much about Aviva and her family? Also saw someone commenting that the rave reviews are mostly from people who have never reviewed before at Amazon or said they didn’t purchase the book from Amazon. Are they implying we have another Susan Saunders or whatever the heck that name was re Jill z’s epic tome? Whatever it is, I don’t read HW’s books so I can’t really say much other than as an observer of what others are leaving as comments. I suppose she is getting attention from this book and that seems to be the purpose so she’s satisfied. She did write it in a hot minute, though. Has to make you wonder with all that ghost writer fighting that went on in this week’s episode.

• catmom1 says:

I wondered the same thing, but I’m sure there are any number of people out there from all walks of life that either Aviva or one of her family has offended.

I’m still reading comments over there at Vulture. Some are pretty entertaining. Completely OT, someone had asked if anyone knew what chemical free paint was made of. Brian Moylan (Vulture recapper) responded, “The ground up dreams of Sonja’s interns. ” Just love his sense of humor.

• catmom1 says:

Too funny, one of the posters over there by the name of Toleda says that Aviva is known in their house as, “The Monoped Palindrome”. Maybe not politically correct, but seriously cracks me up.

• trudie says:

mariareads, did Lisa bring you Starbucks and tabloids today to ease your confinement?

Hahahaha!

• mariareads says:

She brought Giggy and Ken and we made Dunkin Donuts coffee in my coffee machine and she left her tiara behind which I am wearing while I am icing my leg. Ken kept mumbling something about Calabasas but I just gave him some Greek brandy and he fell asleep. We gossiped!!!! And it was GREAT!

• trudie says:

You just think she left her tiara. It is actually a crown from Burger King. She is manipulating you into thinking it is the real thing.

JUICY

And I believe every word. Have to get on NYM on a computer because they, LIKE BRAVO haven’t woken up to the digital age and made a mobile friendly site yet. Get with it A$$holes!!!!

Adiva is very good friends with this woman author (legit author), who lets her toddler run her household. I have to do my research on this again.

I for one don’t believe or see Reid as super successful at work, he seems kind of whiny and I could see it all being family money he has.

I truly believe Aviva’s gross dad made money that way. Yuck

9. Jill...no not THAT Jill -Team T-Rex says:

Just for fun..

10. Iowagirl says:

I could care less about this It is just another reason for Nene’s head tho get bigger. I am so sick of her I am better than than you attitude.

11. Jill...no not THAT Jill -Team T-Rex says:

Of to Mexican night with my sisters-not Kyle Kim and Kathy!! …MaryPat Kate and Christina!!!
    Cheers-have good night friends….bye Felicia!!
    🍻🍻🍻🍹🍹🍹

12. Thank you BB for the recap on Dancing with the Stars! I miss it!!!! I wanted to watch Nene! Not that I like her much this Season but wanted to see how she dances/dress… She does not know how to dance… She used to dance Pole, didn’t she? If you can dance around the pole you can dance, imo.

• lillybee says:

I thought that NeNe’s dancing consisted mostly of posing and very little real dancing.

13. Pghemtchick says:

Thanks for the recap! I guess I deleted my recording of this last season, gonna have to see if it’s on demand.

Loved your recap BB! I watched some of the show and everyone looked to be having such a good time. Refreshing!

Pindy-irony of ironies-the Karate Kid is on! And Elizabeth Shues dad was doing the Reseda thing. Had to laugh. Also Ralph Maccio was like 37 when he made this movie!

Wax on….wax off…

I’m shocked it’s not a TAD higher.

Gourmet kitchen???? I need to look at the pics- when I clicked it went to Justin longs apartment haha. I’ll find it somewhere.

Sonja call King Fred!!!!

• Jules says:

My God look at Sonja’s St. Tro property. She has an amazing body.

16. California35 says:

Watched preview for NY, pretty much the same as last season. Aviva and Caron still arguing. Then The girls talking about it, some pro one and other pro the other. I wish Carol leave it alone, not giving Aviva air time. I understand she had to bring it up, but now that they did. Leave it alone and ignore Aviva.
    Ramona is going to take Avery to Africa 🙂 and she is still planing that. They showed her home. I like her place since the beginning of NY 🙂

I was shocked at Carole going up to Reid while he’s pouring the tanqueray and just telling him point blank about his wife. But from what I saw on WWH I really do think they argued for a VERY long time.

Carole was probably so exhausted and shocked at Adiva & flipping out.

Aviva’s a sociopath and I stick by it!

• Jules says:

I thought that again illustrated Carol’s lack on grace. Going up to someone’s husband and saying what she said was an called for and IMO shows Carol’s true core just like the never having a job outside the home. She didn’t say you have never had to work she said you never worked outside the home. I think in the longer version Carol went less than nice things about stay at home moms and since she is FOA (friend of andy) those were left out and that is why we hear Avivia say if you had babies I would cheer you on.

want to be clear I don’t like either Carol or Aviva.

Now to be nasty. Did anyone else think Heather’s make up was clownish at Aviva rental, bar in the bedroom party?

17. Jan (TexasTart) says: