Kandi’s Wedding – Say Yes To The Distress

Kandis Wedding logo

Episode 1 “Say Yes To The Distress”

by TexasTart

Burress-Tucker

Kandi Burress and Todd Tucker. Photo courtesy of BravoTV.com

Interestingly this mini-series is not a spin off, because it’s attached to the Real Housewives of Atlanta franchise.  The credits reveal “Kandi Koated Entertainment”, which would suggest that Kandi and likely Todd did much more than just show up for the cameras.  The first episode opens with flashbacks to events from Season 6 of The Real Housewives of Atlanta related to Kandi and Todd wanting to get married.  Kandi says to Todd “We’ve already come this far, the wedding should be the easy part, right?!”  Chuckles.

The couple is five weeks away from their wedding date.  Kandi is in bed calling her best friend Carmon about her upcoming wedding, while Todd downstairs in the kitchen cooking breakfast. Todd brings Kandi a breakfast tray with an omelet and fruit. Maybe the breakfast in bed is for show, but the man can cook – put a ring on it!  The topic of paying for the wedding comes up and Todd jokes the father traditionally pays for the wedding and Kandi said you know that’s not happening. She reminds Todd she’s wanting a 6 figure wedding. In a talking head Todd says they want champagne wishes and caviar dreams on a Budweiser budget. It seems like Todd would be happier with the Budweiser budget and a whole lot less fuss, but after all, this is “Kandi’s Wedding”.

Todd and Kandi became acquainted with one another when Todd was on the RHOA production crew shooting in Africa (Season 4).  Todd remembers that he was attracted to Kandi for how down to earth she was and her booty was nice too.

Over at Kandi Factory, Kandi has a meeting with her assistant, Carmon. Johnnie, the new production coordinator and Don Juan, Kandi’s manager.  Carmon and Kandi have been friends since they were 11 years old.  They’re sitting on Kandi’s hot pink vinyl chairs in the office. Kandi tells the trio that they did such a good job with her play (“A Mother’s Love”) that she has a new production for them – her wedding!  They seem surprised, or make that distressed, that she would want them in lieu of a wedding planner.  Johnnie has some wedding planner experience, but it’s on a small scale and Kandi want to go all out.  Kandi wants an African theme since she and Todd met in Africa. She wants wild animals, a lion, for one, African dancers, a theme like the Coming To American movie.    Her people look overwhelmed before they’ve started.

Kandi said in a talking head that when she was little she didn’t want to get married, because of seeing her parent’s multiple divorces. But her outlook has changed and when she sets out to do something, she gets it done!

33 days until the wedding. Kandi and her daughter Riley go to Aunt Nora’s house. Aunt Bertha is there too. She and Aunt Nora are two of Mama Joyce’s 14 siblings.  That’s not a typo, 14 and Joyce is the youngest.  Kandi’s cousin Weenie, that’s not a typo either, is there too.  Kandi is very close to her cousin.   Aunt Bertha offers up what she calls ‘Ghetto Punch’ and reveals it’s Pineapple Juice, Ginger Ale and sugar. Kandi respectfully questions why it needs sugar added.  Her Aunts are the same ladies that were present for the wedding dress shopping scene in RHOA Season 6, where Mama Joyce went off the rails.  Aunt Nora, recalling that unfortunate day, said she didn’t know why she reacted that way and she wanted to apologize and offer her support in marrying Todd.

Aunt Bertha seems to offer support, but she has some of nasty facial expressions like her sister Joyce, so I’m a bit suspicious of her sincerity.  Kandi said the situation with her mama has put strain on being with family and now with the wedding. Aunt Nora said she loves Todd’s mother and there goes Aunt Bertha with those facial expressions. She doesn’t like Todd’s mother and says she talks too much.  Both Aunts and cousin Weenie offer their support in helping Joyce get with the program.

Kandi meets with Reco Chapple, to possibly design her dress.  Kandi’s friend of twenty three years, Tan shows up along with her friend and stylist.  Her friends seem skeptical about what the designer sketched and the time frame, but Reco insists he can do something fabulous and it will be his gift to Kandi. Kandi was disappointed that Carmon didn’t show up to meet with the dress designer, because after all, she is her best friend. Kandi said Carmons’ absense and no explanation is starting to piss her off.

32 days until the wedding. Carmon and Johnnie are in the office on their laptops searching for venues, which is challenging when your bride wants African jungle animals.  Todd pops in and asks how is it going.  Carmon complains about the time frame and a lot of things. Todd questions her drive and devotion.  Carmon tells Todd she’s not a wedding planner.  Clearly her heart is not into doing this job. Todd tries to pump her up, to rise to the occasion, that Kandi needs her.  Todd’s passionate plea backfires and Carmon storms out saying “I’m Done!”

Joyce, Bertha and Nora meet for lunch at The Pecan.  Joyce arrives in a fine looking Audi, I wonder if Kandi bought that for her mama.  The sisters explain that Kandi and Riley came over and they’re planning a wedding. Joyce acts like this is news to her. Joyce’s sisters try to soften her up to get it together for her daughter. Joyce starts to cite her problems with Todd. She doesn’t want Kandi taken advantage of.  According to Joyce, or it could be word on the streets, Todd’s dad was a pimp and his mother a whore. She also doesn’t like that Todd is letting Kandi gain weight.  The sisters continue to tell Joyce to accept the fact a wedding is going to happen.

Todd is playing with Kandi’s bulldog, Georgia, in the driveway when Kandi arrives. He was throwing a football for Georgia, which I find amusing, as well did Georgia who wanted to play but can’t pick up a football.  Kandi asks Todd why Carmon had disappeared and left her a mysterious text as if Kandi had sent Todd to tell her off.  Which is not what happened, but Carmon was not taking Kandi’s calls. So Kandi is asking Todd to explain what kind of drama he started.

The 40 minute mark tease is Kandi in bed and Todd comes into the room banging a bongo drum in African attire. Kandi could not stop laughing. It was one of those continuous, contagious laughs. Apparently Todd did this because she said she wanted an African themed wedding.

29 days until the wedding. Kandi arrives at Mama Joyce’s townhouse.  Joyce is mixing up a smoothie for the both of them. Kandi brings up the wedding. It’s revealed that she and her mother have not talked much. They have gone weeks at a time without talking.  Joyce acts like she doesn’t know the wedding date. Kandi said, as she told her before, it’s on April 4, 2014. She wanted that date for the numbers 4/4/14.  Joyce asks if the pre-nup is done. Kandi said it’s in the works.  Joyce said that she should know Todd was raised by a pimp and a prostitute. Kandi can’t keep a straight face, she doesn’t believe that and then gets serious to ask her mother not talk about Todd’s father like that because he’s dead and can’t defend himself.

Joyce tells Kandi that life is like chess and everyone is playing a game. Something was checkmated in this discussion, but I don’t even think Kandi was paying any more attention than I was to Joyce’s rambling.  As Kandi leaves, her smart ass mama says “I’d work on that butt”.

After three days of an unexplained absence, Carmon shows up at Kandi’s front door. Which Kandi thought was odd, because Carmon has a key and enters the house differently.  Carmon and Kandi have an emotional conversation about how Carmon feels about being stuck in the middle between Mama Joyce and now this with Todd.  Kandi thought she could talk her down off the ledge and get Carmon to understand that Kandi herself is in the middle.  There were a lot of tears and raised voices. The conversation ends with Kandi yelling “you don’t want to do it, then don’t do it!”  So Carmon is not going to do any wedding planning, as to preserve their friendship.

_________________________

This entry was posted in Kandi's Wedding and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

122 Responses to Kandi’s Wedding – Say Yes To The Distress

Good morning. Great blog, TY. I was nervous for Kandi last night. I don’t know if it’s a lot of acting but nothing seems real with all of them.

Good morning again everyone. All I can say about Kandi’s wedding is Momma Joyce is a big ole BIT*H. One of her sister’s apologized to Kandi saying why did she act that way, meaning saying she shouldn’t marry Todd when Kandi was trying on dresses. And both sisters said they like Todd. They were acting like witches because Joyce poisoned them. Told them lies. And Joyce saying Todd is the way he is because his father was a pimp and his mother was a “hoe”. IDK if they were or weren’t but all I know is Joyce is disrespectful and nasty. I hope Todd never forgets what Joyce said.

• boston02127 says:

Do you think she’s an alcoholic?

• Jan (TexasTart) says:

Kandi has claimed her mother does not drink alcohol. Maybe it’s all the sugar in Aunt Bertha’s Ghetto Punch?!

Ghetto Punch will knock you down!! Hahaha!!

Is Ghetto Punch like the stuff we used to drink called Purple Passion? We used to mix it up in a big trash can (a brand new one mind you) and attach a dipper with a string. I have no idea what was in it, but like Jill says, it would knock you down. lol

No. She’s just a BIT*H that’s more interested in her daughter’s money than her happiness.

I like the way she talks about everyone out for Kandi’s money but doesn’t seem to think that applies to her. From where I sit she’s the one that’s out for Kandi’s money. I haven’t seen anything or heard anything about any career she has that would give her the money to live in the house she does and drive the car she does. My thinking is her nice stuff has come from Kandi’s money.

Right. She’s the one out for Kandi’s money. At the reunion she said she has money. Said her house was paid off. She lives in Kandi’s old house. IDK if Kandi has given it to her.

• Foxymel11(Mel) says:

Hi Powell! I agree! Mama Joyce is a Mega Bitch! Lol I just can’t with her. Kandi is a sweetheart she should be happy for her. I couldn’t believe she said that Todd’s parents were once hooker/pimp combo. Lol

Did Jac and Carolyn get fired or did they quit?

Depends on who you ask. Lol. Really, I don’t know. Caroline supposedly has her own show.

Why can’t people just be happy for one another? Kandi’s a grown woman. It’s her life. Why rain on what otherwise should be the happiest time of her life? As a mom of two grown daughters if I think they might be making a little mistake, I try keep quiet and let it happen or how else will they learn from it. If I think they are about to make a big mistake, I voice my concerns in a nice way, using my own past mistakes as examples, and then shut my trap, pray, and hope for the best. Later, I try not to say “I told you so.” Luckily, most of the time they listen.

5. SoutheastVA says:

I have never ever heard of ghetto juice. Before I read the recipe in the recap, Kool-aid came to mind. A hot mess!!

I once again will boycott Bravo weddings, but will be in the loop a little bit because of the postings here. I didn’t watch Kim’s, Nene’s or Tamra’s productions and I will not watch Kandi’s (although she is the most normal one, but mama is a mess).

I’m a bit of a history nerd and spent a great deal of time on Saturday watching on the History Channel’s The World Wars. Excellent – just excellent.

Back to work today and it looks like we’re in for some questionable weather in a the next day or two. Never a dull moment. Keeping my flowers on the porch for now.

Happy Monday to all of you!

My husband and daughter both recorded The World Wars but I haven’t had a chance to view it yet. The History Channel airs some good programming.

Yes they do BB. Last Saturday I re-watched The Men Who Built America. Vanderbilt, Edison, Carnegie, and Sonja’s ex family, Morgan. 🙂

• designernailsdiana says:

Powell I watched that too since my DH is a railroad engineer. Interesting, I should’ve listened in history class because I didn’t remember any of that stuff

• mm in oc says:

That was awesome! I couldnt stop watching it wnd it went on for hours

Husker I didn’t watch Tamra’s. I only watched the beginning of NeNe’s. I’ll see how much of Kandi’s I can take.

I love the History Channel and missed WWII on Memorial Day. I kept looking for it.

• SoutheastVA says:

I DVR’d the WOrld Wars this weekend. I left off at the part where Germany, Italy and Japan formed their Axix alliance. I LOVE history too!

One part of the show I would like to point out is that Hitler came oh so very close to being killed in WWI. Just imagine how different the world would be today . . .

7. SoutheastVA says:

OTT – Did anyone see Game of Thrones last night? I think it scarred my teenagers for life. They both screamed at the end. A hot mess!!

8. Good morning everyone! Hot today. HIgh 110. Watched GOT last night. What an episode.

• Jan (TexasTart) says:

That is HOT. Having our first hot weather here and the problem with the 90’s this time of year is we have high humidity. :-/

• Draining the pool today and I am worried. You really should not drain in this heat but pool tech said he would be by early in the a.m. and clean the filters and then start filling it up. I did not think it would be this hot so early in the summer. I am having such a problem with algae and it because of the water being saturated.

Great blog TT. I hope Kandi’s spinoff/not spinoff is a ratings success, and that Mama Joyce grows from seeing herself on TV.

I think some of what Mama Joyce is doing is for TV, she likes being the topic of conversation and she’s out to make a name for herself whatever way it takes. Kind of like Joey G, Simon, Slade, George and now Mama Joyce. Let’s set her up with George, keep her mind busy running from him.

Forgot George has got the money to keep her in her lifestyle and then she won’t have to worry so much about Kandi’s money.

Mrs P Joyce does love the camera now. She made a spectacle of herself on the reunion. She’s lost weight which is a good thing for her health but I think it was for tv. I don’t like her anymore.

NMD Joyce didn’t grow from seeing herself tell Carmen she would drag her so I don’t see her growing from seeing herself on Kandi’s Wedding.

• Jan (TexasTart) says:

Thanks, Veena. I hope it goes over well in ratings too, so she can continue to show people that good girls can come out on top! Kandi’s one of my favorite people in the realm of reality TV.

10. designernailsdiana says:

I watched Kim, Tamra and now Kandi’s weddings. I would NOT watch Nene if I was paid. I’m over her and her huge ego/attitude. Yea you’re rich AND a b*tch too. I’d rather be poor and not a b*tch.
    Mama Joyce is acting the psycho-b*tch monster-in-law so I feel bad for Todd. Kandi is used to her Mother being like that, but not Todd. Joyce needs to be reminded Jesus hung out with Prostitutes, murders and thieves, he offered everyone he met forgiveness. Mama you need to offer some forgiveness. We don’t get to choose our families, but we get to choose our friends!

Diana ITA about Joyce. She wants Kandi and Reilly to respect her but she doesn’t want to respect them and Todd & his family. Just terrible.

of all the houswives franchises, my two most favorite housewives are Lisa V and Kandi – bright, funny and very business savvy, both of these women can hold their own – I don’t care for Mama Joyce’s handling of her daughter’s relationship with Todd, who from all accounts and behavior appears to be a good egg, so I suspect that behind the scenes, privately, Kandi has had strong words with her Mom about all of this – but not publicly, which I respect.

I am left wondering if Mama Joyce does not suffer from some illness, something that would cause mood swings like this? we have seen her discuss the wedding with Kandi in a calm and almost supportive manner and then back to crazy woman at the drop of a hat – medicated maybe? whatever it is, I know Kandi will handle it I just wish she did not have to –

Watching your children grow is one of the scariest things in the world – when they are little, you think that knot on their head they got when they fell was the worst – when they get older that scare they got was the worst – older still, watching them get their heart broken for the first time, the absolute worst hurt – it just goes on and on – now when they were little you stopped a lot of potential bad things from happening – when they got a bit older it was you that guided them in a direction that would be a safer way for them to handle things, but once they become an adult, the very things that you did just as a matter of course, as a matter or protection, you find you can no longer do – they are now exactly what you always wished them to be – independent adults – and you must have faith that all that you taught them along the way to that goal took hold and even when they do not in any way exhibit it, that they do remember it and hold to it when it counts the most –

watching your adult child make a mistake in judgement is the hardest of all – for me, like BB, I say my piece calmly, just once and then let it be – the hardest thing in the world to do – to allow your child to come to the realization that this was not a good move – the only thing you can do is be prepared for that moment to come and know exactly how to help your child pick themselves up, brush themselves off and get back on the road of life – that is your most important task, despite the near constant urge to bash some fool’s head in for hurting your child – I just wonder if Mama Joyce is trying to beat up Todd – or trying to beat up her own past demons –

• iceNfire says:

I can’t stand Lisa. I do like Kandi but she is manufacturing drama for this wedding show. Now she is having a dress made from scratch? Just go back to the store without your mama and buy a dress!

• iceNfire says:

Ooops forgot to say – Hi shamrockblonde 😛

We’ve seen the dress that someone posted a link to and it was God awful ugly. Chappell designed it. He designed the Smurf blue dress they showed too and it was awful. IDK why Kandi didn’t go to a bridal salon for her dress.

• iceNfire says:

“watching them get their heart broken for the first time, the absolute worst hurt”… I agree! It pissed me off. I really thought she was The One. We treated her as part of our family and there was Nothing I could do when she was just ‘over it’

• shamrockblonde says:

same here – seeing my daughter cry like that – heartbroken – and knowing there was nothing that I could do to make it right – the worst –

Shamrock I don’t think Kandi has had strong words w/her make mom. Kandi sees that as not respecting her mother. I know this is all tv but if Joyce did have that talk w/ Kandi Joyce would show it. I’m not saying she wouldn’t still have reservations but she would be supportive. She speaks horribly about Todd and then says to her sisters and Kandi “I’m happy if she’s happy.” “I’ll be there.”
      I know Joyce loves Kandi, is proud of her and wants Kandi to protect herself emotionally and financially. After all these yrs and the empire Kandi has created why doesn’t her mother trust that Kandi will continue to protect herself and Reilly?

• Jan (TexasTart) says:

Shamrock, my two most favorite housewives are Kandi and Lisa V too, but I would have to add Holla Heather to make a top three.

hi beautiful! – I agree about the made for tv wedding – a real lion? serously? and the dress? from scratch – that smacks of tv drama – the stuff with her Mother though – I think that is very real – *hugs iceNfire really hard*

I think this wedding was a lot farther along in the planning than what we are being shown and probably did have a wedding planner working on it too. Can you imagine how long it would take to find a place that would take wild animals and to get that set up let alone find the animals that you are going to have there. I would think you’d have to get clearance of some type from someone to bring the lion, tiger and whatever else she wanted there. And for that guy to make all the dresses esp considering he’s working on Quad’s dog line, when is he to have the time and why would he do it all from free, that had to have cost some money to make all those dresses. Something doesn’t pass the smell test here.

Mrs P I hope she had a wedding planner. Yes Chappell had his hands full from Dog Couture to Coming to America wedding gown.

The Coming to America wedding? It belonged on the big screen where Eddie Murphy left it. 🙂 I believe the momma drama is real too. And why did Kandi have Carmen who knows nothing about planning a wedding as her wedding planner?

Just to bring drama to the show. I think the mother part is true but mama is milking it big time.

• Jan (TexasTart) says:

Maybe Kandi did, or maybe she just thought Carmon could handle it. I remember Kim Zolciak had her best friend Jen thrown into wedding planning, not the actual wedding planner, but Jen was also completely overwhelmed by the task and camera shy on top of it all. So she was standing up Kim – just like Carmon was doing to Kandi. That does happen in real life often a bride to be expects too much from a BFF.

And I agree with Mrs. P, the mother not approving seems very true and mama is playing it up for the cameras. I really liked Aunt Nora and Aunt Bertha. It speaks volumes that Kandi has some life long friends in her court.

13. T-Rex says:

Okay, as I am NOT watching this show nor anything that has to do with the THUGS-R-US-HOwives of Atlanta, just a couple of notes. First, Kandi gave Mama-Whining-J the home Kandi was living in to her for “FREE”, prior to the house Kandi has now with Todd, so why are they meeting her at a TownHouse, unless Kandi has bought her a second home. Kandi has bought and paid for all the homes that Mama-Whining-J as lived in, in the past fifteen years from what we established a few years ago. Second, I think that the fact that Mama-Whining-J is the youngest of many siblings explains a lot about her behaviour. As a Whining Brat growing up, she was probably given whatever she wanted, being the baby of the family, and seems like she was accountable for NONE of her behaviour, which is why she acts so poorly as an adult, she has no limits and expects others to just do whatever she says. I do not find anything Mama-Whining-J does as trying to help her daughter, she is just trying to make sure she keeps helping herself to her daughters money, and that her daughter does whatever she wants her to do.

• Jan (TexasTart) says:

Good points, T-Rex, I too had wondered why the townhouse, when just last season it was discussed mama was in her old house. But the realization she was the 14th child spoke volumes.

Totally agree about her as youngest of like 14??!!???!😳

14. kendo says:

Kandi is at the top of my favs list, but I think her shows are boring! She’s so easy going, seems to have mostly the same type people around her. As a group, they are boring. They are too relaxed, don’t show any excitement. She needs a few wild creative types to make the show a little more interesting. Her mama’s drama is just old and messed up. I will continue watching.
    I enjoyed her “Kandi Factory” – thought she wrote some great songs, but there’s just something missing. Part of it may be that she is just too normal. She needs a “Kim”!

15. I don’t what is more disturbing….Game of Thrones last night or George on NY tomorrow night.

Did anyone watch Marriage Boot Camp with Gretchen & Slade? I watched it today and there is a girl on there that can’t stand Gretchen. Her name is Tanishia and she’s pretty scary. She was on the Bad Girls Club.

• Jan (TexasTart) says:

Yes and don’t you know it helped Gretchen fit in right away by calling herself the white Oprah.

• kendographics says:

Isn’t she the one that woke the house up on BGC by beating pots and pans together. Then she was on with Andy WWHL.

• Jan (TexasTart) says:

Unfortunately, they’re not going to be fixing the Hoof Maloof’s face….hmmm, maybe this is the next stop for The Grifter!

18. dickens says:

I think an African-themed wedding is a fantastic idea since Kandi and Todd met in Africa, but she should have left it at that. What does the movie Coming to America have to do with them?

I wondered that too, I think I saw the movie but it was years ago and I can’t remember what it was about.

• dickens says:

Coming to America was a comedy starring Eddie Murphy about an African prince who comes to America to find a wife.

19. iceNfire says:

ladebra – The Mountain/Prince Oberyn battle is in a Tryion chapter, page 960 in A Storm of Swords.

• iceNfire says:

ladebra- Have you read all 5 books? There is a clue on page 975 that I never noticed before….

I read them all, but it’s been years. You know how long he took in between! And honestly I think when he got too graphic, I probably skimmed through. Or I could just blame it on my memory and leave it at that lol !

20. Jan (TexasTart) says:

21. Jan (TexasTart) says:

Hey ShamrockBlonde, I see Ramona Singer re-tweeted you!

• shamrockblonde says:

yes she did! she also answered a question I had about where she got the purse she was holding! – she and Sonja have retweeted me a few times now –

22. Jan (TexasTart) says:

At least I know Chismosa will appreciate this…..

Thanks Tarts!

He got a book deal as I know he would. I’ll be at his signings. 🙂
      He is deserving of one unlike MANY a MANY bravo-lebrity

23. cusi77 says:

Thank you for the Blog TT!!!!!

• Jan (TexasTart) says:

You’re welcome 😀

Thanks Tarts

That picture totally illustrates the short people with big heads comment which I’m sorry, was funny

I watched it & was bored but I like and trust Todd a bit more now.
        Kandi’s BFF/ASSistant should have STFU and did her job or at least spoken to Kandi privately. Girl wouldn’t have that job if not for Kandi. Kandi makes LEGIT business.
        What on earth does Kim Z employ an assistant for? And with whose money does she pay hers 😏

Go Todd.

Ixnay on the nimals-A. 😡

24. Jan (TexasTart) says:
  25. cusi77 says:

All Oklahoma is loving Vicky right now!!!! Lol!

26. Pingback: Trickery By Bravo TV and Todd Tucker for “Kandi’s Wedding”, The Real Housewives Of Atlanta Plus More : Reality Tv Scandals