Marriage Boot Camp – Spenser lacks Emotional Intelligence, and Aviva lacks Emotions –  by Veena

MBCRS2_Cast_Annoyed_820x460

It’s the second episode of Marriage Boot Camp, and I’m ready for someone to be voted off the island.  Please let it be Spenser.  But instead, the show starts off with a faux divorce court.  The idea is to let the five couples feel what it would be like to get divorced, and as a special treat – those couples that have children get to argue about who gets custody.  Each segment starts with a few clips of their audition tape so that we can see what bullsh$t they sold the producers to get cast on the show.

Note: We all know this show is full of famewhores (and their enablers/loved ones) so that they can extend their 15 minutes in the limelight.  I’ll hazard a bet that most (if not all) of these folks think their relationship is fine – and just made up some issues for their casting tape.  The joke is on them because they all have DEEP issues, even if they were in denial.  And now they have to work through them on National TV.   It is soooo much better than Couples’ Therapy – where they are able to fake it and get away with it.  No wonder Aviva was so mad and refused to pay the headhunter that got her on the show.

First up in divorce court is Bad Girl’s Club Natalie and her husband Jacob, who have only been married since 2012 (their marriage was featured on an episode of Bridezillas).  Jacob wants Natalie to settle down and have kids; Natalie wants to focus on being a member of the Bad Girl’s Club.  Natalie is basically told that Jacob is going to find someone else unless she stops acting like a spoiled brat; she shrugs her shoulders and tells everyone he can’t do better than her.  I think he knew what he was getting into when he married her and probably loves it.  There’s plenty of time for kids and settling down when their 15 minutes are up.

Next we have Syleena and Kiwane.  Kiwane has retired from the NBA, and Syleena has stepped up to be the breadwinner of the family.  She’s scared about holding all the responsibility, so everyone piles on her and tells her she’s selfish for focusing on her career when she could be home catering to her husband and kids.  The judge says she’d give custody of the kids to Kiwane, which is total BS.  Since when is it a bad parent to work to bring income to your family?  What about joint custody.  Syleena breaks down in tears and almost storms out, as the counselors and Kiwane gather around her and tell her the judge might be right.  You can hear her  whisper to Kiwane – do you think I’m a bad mother?  Why didn’t you stick up for me?  I think the real issue here is his insecurities over not being the primary breadwinner any longer, but somehow they’ve decided to play this story a different way.

For a real treat we get Aviva and Reid coldly discussing who gets their kids. Aviva – with ice water in her veins – says that Reid only wants custody so that he won’t have to pay child support.  She says she expects alimony and child support, and he says he’s okay with child support as long as he can say how it is used because she spoils the kids.  The camera cuts away to Spenser, who tells us that Aviva is faking the entire thing.  Pot meet kettle.  I don’t think Aviva and Reid like each other.  The judge gives the kids to Aviva because she’s a stay at home mom, but wishes she could give the kids to Reid.  Neither seem to care.

Next is my favorite couple, survivor’s Tyson and Rachel.  Since they aren’t married, there is no need for a divorce.  Instead, Tyson tells the judge he appreciates that Rachel is always there for him and accommodates him.  He doesn’t mention loving her.  Everyone wants to get up and smack him, but instead they pile on Rachel for being a doormat.  The judge tells Rachel to smarten up, take control of her life, and put herself in the position where she doesn’t depend on him – advice she’d give her daughter.  Advice I give my daughter.  It’s pretty clear to everyone and the doormat that Tyson is never going to marry Rachel.  He’ll string her along for years until she finally gives up and leaves him, and a month later she’ll read on the internet that he’s gotten married to someone else and they’re happily planning a family.  And she’ll wonder what is wrong with her.

Speidi is up next.  Their issue is she wants kids and he isn’t ready.  They’ve been married six years.  Spenser (who doesn’t work), says he’s willing to get work to support Heidi, but not anyone else – clarifying by anyone else he means future spawn.  Red flag red flag Heidi.  Spenser is just giving flippant answers to the questions, trolling, hoping to hit a nerve and cause drama.  #overit

Next they split into two groups – the famewhores in one group, and the loved ones/enablers in the other.  Syleena is put in the loved ones group – probably because Kiwane needs to learn how to appreciate her and all the things she does for their family.

One by one each couple is led through an exercise where the loved one is playing dead in a car crash scene.  The set up is that they were reading a nasty text from the famewhore while driving, and that led to the accident.  The first three couples react like humans – and by that they show real emotion during the exercise.

Then we get the emotionally stunted shells of humans in the form of Speidi and Aviva and Reid.

Spenser can’t even take the exercise seriously.  He says he’s no Johnny Depp – and can’t reach into his emotions “on demand.”  I’d agree he’s no Johnny Depp – or even an Eddie Cibrain type of actor – but he’s not supposed to be acting – he’s supposed to be feeling some sort of emotion.  The counselor’s label him as lacking emotional intelligence, and in a moment of clarity Spenser explains that he was 22 when he dropped out of college to be the bad boy on a reality show.  Since then he’s been constantly rewarded for his bad behavior – and can’t break the cycle.  I suspect Spenser thinks he’s just fine the way he is, and quite frankly, it’s all he’s got going for him. Isn’t this show rewarding him for his bratty behavior by paying him to be a brat?  He won’t change until his 15 minutes are well and truly over.  But in all honesty, I can’t think of a better partner (in crime) for him than Heidi.

Finally there is Aviva – who stares blankly at dead Reid, blinking madly.  You can see the little wheels turning in her brain as she tries to figure out what to say to please the counselors.  She comes up with some sort of platitude, delivered in a monotone, to the camera, as though she’s completely unaware of Reid’s sprawled and blood-stained body just feet away.  In her defense, Reid doesn’t do much better. It’s really too bad this couple has reproduced.

_______________________________

This entry was posted in Marriage Boot Camp and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

52 Responses to Marriage Boot Camp – Spenser lacks Emotional Intelligence, and Aviva lacks Emotions

Good morning everyone. Hope you’re having a nice weekend.

OMG!! Spencer’s there for the $100 grand. “Oh Heidi I love you.” – Spencer in his most lousy acting ever. Leg and Reid are addicted to reality tv. “Youre my best friend. A great father ” – You’re husband is dead. That’s all you got? Emotionless.
    Selena and her husband’s reactions to the car accident were real. They both had regret and remorse in their voices and on their faces. Natalie and her husband seemed real too. All these “Bad girls” that they’ve had on come off hard. They all seem to have walls up and that take no prisoner attitude. I don’t know what the husbands saw in them.

Sounds like Spencer has a head on his shoulders afterall, if he doesn’t want to reproduce. This video doesn’t have to do with my comment as much as displaying his level of maturity.

LOL TexasTart that he doesn’t want to reproduce. That might be the only thing he’s been honest about. But you know if you ask a 12 yr old boy if he wants a baby he’ll tell you no too. 😆😆

3. OneMoreInBoston says:

“Neither seems to care.”

Makes three of us.

So sad

6. So RHOBH is on. The one where Brandi calls Leanne a c*nt-ree singer.

So…Brandi says that the $1000 check will be groceries for a week. Still unclear if it’s $1000 per week or month. And if course she’s exaggerating her grocery costs.

…Why doesn’t Max know when his parents 32nd anniversary is? I always got my parent’s anniversary cards and presents. He seemed oblivious. Estranged?

• Trashy T says:

Re Max: I think it is because he is a guy. I have two sons in their thirties and we are a pretty close family and I’m not certain they know our exact anniversary date. I just think it is a guy thing not to know things like that or maybe we didn’t raise them right….

Thanks for taking the bullet for the rest of us, Veena, and watching this show. Sounds ghastly.

I don’t doubt her claim this time cuz she’s got that liquor store on speed dial. Liquor for her is groceries. She probably drinks a case each weekend.

• Brandi is just gross.

The difference in sons and daughters. My brother never remembers my parents birthdays or their anniversary (and their anniversary is December 27th and mom’s birthday is the 28th. Not terribly hard to remember her. AND, my dad’s is September 11. Um, kinda hard to forget.) I never forget. I don’t think this is terribly uncommon. I am sad that my son probably won’t remember so I will swear to send him reminders 2 weeks beforehand! 🙂

😁 I didn’t know my parents anniversary either. Like I wouldn’t remembe it as I would a birthday.
      Lisa said on TH that he has given them problems. I think I remember on an interview mentioning drug abuse. I think he acted like an ass intentionally. He said he didn’t have insurance, then mid conversation that he didn’t have insurance for a day, then at the end of the scene that he had insurance. His 34 or 35 year old girlfriend was a former SUR waitress. He gets no symphathy from me. I hate people that use the symphathy card. Drug and alcohol users are manipulators.

7. Thank you for the great blog. I really don’t like any of the players on this show, but of course I watch. Lol!

She’s not even in high school? I forget how young she is.

Applications? Don’t they go to public school? Why would she need applications?

They do go to public school. She’s probably wanting to do a private high school. Funny though, they just put out the best schools list a few weeks ago and Montville is up there. (NJ-ites are a little obsessed with the best schools lists!) Before anyone asks about the money, they have scholarships!

• I think they are in parochial schools.

9. So, did anyone watch Whitney last night? I am watching it now and it seems like it should have been titled, “Bobby Brown Really Wasn’t the Bad Guy”. I have a feeling Bobby was greatly involved in making this movie.

Maybe it’s me, but the King’s spikey hair and the skinny tie pulled down a bit and the crooked knot? Isn’t that a bit dated? I remember when Blondie, The Cars, and The Knack did that and it was fresh then. Of course, that was when I saw Blondie paying at CBGB’s for the cover charge and overpriced drinks.

Old pic

#waybackwednesday with #GigiHadid and #BellaHadid circa 2011.

A post shared by Hadid News (@hadidnews) on

I hope Bethenny doesn’t invest in pot in WA – apparently we’ve got an oversupply right now – demand wasn’t what they expected??

Whatever happened to simple answers like. Yes, I was in on the joke. No, I had no clue it was a joke. The more they try to clarify, the murkier it gets.

Of course it was a joke. Because Brandi said it was a joke. And she’s a comedienne. She said so on one of her podcasts, see? So since she said she’s a comedienne on a podcast, it obviously had to be a joke when she threw the wine in Lewis’s face. Yeah, that’s the ticket. It was a joke on Andy that she and Lewis arranged. And she’s secretly married to Mick Jagger too. And Sting. At the same time. Yeah, that’s the ticket.

This emoji thing – it’s like a new language.

• Veena (NMD) says:

I think they were all in Vegas for Katie’s party.

Yeap! minus Kristen, James, and of course and Stassi, who doesn’t associate with her cast mates BUT she still associates with SUR staff that are not cast.

I don’t know why “I” think Tom and Arianna are no longer together or having issues. Just a hunch.

Holy cow my Seahawks are amazeballs

Unbelievable. We are going BACK to the SUPERBOWL!